HF Parking Lot Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Not sure if all stores have Parking Lot Sales on the same Weekends, but the ad I just got says Aug 18,19, & 20th.

Their click style torque wrenches are $10 each. I'm sure they're not the greatest, but $30 for all three, a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench (up to 200 inch lbs - needed for billet connecting rod), 3/8" drive (up to 80 ft lbs), AND 1/2" drive (up to 150 ft lbs)...
is a pretty good deal.
Torque wrenches are expensive usually. These are like $20 each at HF when not on sale.

21 gallon 2.5HP 125 PSI Air Compressor is $150.
$506 for a 420cc 8750W/7000W generator.
2500lb electric winch is $50.
90 amp 120v flux welder is $85

and of course....
212cc Predators are $100.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Not sure if all stores have Parking Lot Sales on the same Weekends, but the ad I just got says Aug 18,19, & 20th...

What kinda kickback are you getting for this 'shout-out', Bob?

Attachments

• Such a wh....jpeg
    Such a wh....jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 4

anickode

Reaction score
I get a 20% coupons every few weeks.

Fine print on the coupon says not valid on a rather long list of brands... Basically you can't use the coupon on anything over a few bucks. Engines, welders, tool chest, generators, trailers, etc. Pretty much all of their big ticket item brands are on the blacklist.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Fine print on the coupon says not valid on a rather long list of brands... Basically you can't use the coupon on anything over a few bucks. Engines, welders, tool chest, generators, trailers, etc. Pretty much all of their big ticket item brands are on the blacklist.

20% coupons are great for consumables

...drill bits, cut-off wheels, grinding discs, sand paper etc.

...& you leave with something FREE every time :thumbsup:

anickode

Reaction score

Harbor freight is about the worst place to buy consumables in my experience.

Cutoff wheels... I can pay twice as much for Metabo Slicer cutoff wheels that last 5x as long. Same goes for grinding wheels, especially flap wheels. A single $10 ceramic grit flap wheel will last longer than $20 worth of harbor freight flap wheels.

$125 set of drill bits from Fastenal... A recent project had me hogging 1/2" holes through 1/2" thick cold rolled steel. I drilled all 140 of them dry with a single 1/2" bit. No pilot holes, no lubricant, and that bit was as sharp when I finished as it was when I started. Literally zero wear. Ive tried HF bits. They usually last 3-5 holes before dulling, and maybe 10 before they're completely useless. Resharpened, they last about half that long. Then you have to buy a whole new set to replace the couple bits that are worn.

Now, engines, generators, tool chests, big air compressors, and stuff like that are things I've found to be of comparable quality to name brands.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
I agree with you on the cutting and grinding wheels I use dewalt only. Never tried the bits I've always used Mac tools bits dull them then break um get a new one.

anickode

Reaction score
I agree with you on the cutting and grinding wheels I use dewalt only. Never tried the bits I've always used Mac tools bits dull them then break um get a new one.

Ooh DeWalt.:ack2:

DeWalt is definitely better than harbor freight, but still not super great. In my experience, abrasive products made by companies that specialize only in abrasives are the best to be had. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I've been buying some awesome flap grinding wheels at a welding supply shop. The disc is plastic instead of fibre and they have ceramic grit. I use them for beveling pipe and plate for weld prep. They out last even brand name zirconia flap wheels by a factor of 10. The grit is so sharp and aggressive, it actually cuts the steel rather than burning it. Almost no sparks. You wind up with a pile of teeny tiny curls instead of iron oxide dust. And yet a 36 grit ceramic wheel leaves a surface finish similar to a 60 grit alumina wheel. Totally worth the investment, at least for me, where I can easily go through 10 "regular" wheels in a day.

Might be Overkill though, for a hobbyist who only goes through a handful of cutoff discs and maybe one grinding wheel in a month or more.

Hellion

Reaction score
I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I've been buying some awesome flap grinding wheels at a welding supply shop...

When you come up with their name, do tell.

I'm only into HF for the engines and a few odds and ends. As an occasional user (or all summer long), their cheapest "Drillmaster" angle grinder has been adequate. Right now it is more of a "how long will this thing last?" than a pride in ownership thing.

When they had the "free-no purchase required" coupons, I'd stop in and get the freebies and nothing else. Out the door I went. :cheers2:

anickode

Reaction score
When you come up with their name, do tell.

I'm only into HF for the engines and a few odds and ends. As an occasional user (or all summer long), their cheapest "Drillmaster" angle grinder has been adequate. Right now it is more of a "how long will this thing last?" than a pride in ownership thing.

When they had the "free-no purchase required" coupons, I'd stop in and get the freebies and nothing else. Out the door I went. :cheers2:

I had horrible luck with the drill master grinders (the old blue ones). I had one last under 2 minutes before it lit up like a flashbulb and spit a glowing molten blob of copper out through the fan. Got that one warrantied, it's replacement lasted about 10 minutes. Got that one warrantied and gave it to a guy at work. It lasted him less than a day.

Flip side of that coin, I have a Chicago electric angle grinder, #91223 (the old orange one) that I just can't kill. I've had it at least 10 years, burned through hundreds of assorted wheels with it, used it to cut paver bricks (concrete dust is HORRIBLE for motors), dropped it 2 stories onto packed gravel (by accident), and dropped it into water while running(also by accident). The thing sounds like it has square bearings and half the teeth missing on the gears (has sounded like that since the day I got it), but it just refuses to quit.

Functional Artist

Reaction score

This tip was for DIY hobbyists

NOT for professionals or for shop use

of course those EXPENSIVE choices are better & more appropriate

The last flatbed I mounted took 24 - 5/8" holes in ~1/2" frame steel

...all drilled with (2) HF (blue) Chicago cordless drill's & HF drill bits (except for the 9/16" & 5/8" bits, which they don't carry)

* I now have a bad a** Rockwell drill & also the 1/4" driver

But, still use HF drill bits (I'll break an expensive bit, just as fast as a HF bit)

* it's the artist NOT the brush :2guns:

Sorry fellas, we got (2) here in Toledo

I'm there almost weekly & leave with somethin' free everytime :cornut:

anickode

Reaction score
I know, and I get it. Price is a big factor for a lot of folks, and when it comes to something that only gets used occasionally, the temptation to buy cheap is great.

Still, even as a hobbyist, I would rather have a single flap wheel that cost say, 20 bucks and lasts me all year than to have to buy 10 harbor freight flap discs at 4 bucks apiece. Even on sale with a coupon, you still don't hit the break-even point.

And cutoff wheels are not a place to compromise on quality either. I've watched a guy get half a 4¼" Chinese no-name cutoff wheel stuck into his leg like a hunting knife when it exploded on a grinder, fresh out of the box, hadn't even touched metal yet. This is ESPECIALLY crucial for hobbyist who may be in experienced with the tool.

Harbor freight wire brush wheels are great if you're into body piercings...

Drill bits are ok for light drilling here and there. Bust one, it's cheap to replace the set, but buy a good set, and it will last a lifetime for the casual user, and you can generally buy the same good bits in singles, rather than having to replace a whole set for the sake of one busted bit.

I'm not knocking harbor freight. Heck, I've got several of their big tool boxes, and one of their Mig 180 welders that I haul around for some of my portable jobs. I'm just saying that even for hobbyists, you might be better off long-term going with a better quality product in some cases.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Now, engines, generators, tool chests, big air compressors, and stuff like that are things I've found to be of comparable quality to name brands.

You'll notice I listed an engine, a generator, and a compressor.
I love the Snap-on knockoff tool chest I have.

The winch I posted is the winch I have for my buggy. I still haven't finished installing the alternator brackets. Don't know how it works.
Never used an ATV winch, so won't really be able to compare once I do install it.
Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. IIRC, it had really good reviews.

Hellion

Reaction score
...Harbor freight wire brush wheels are great if you're into body piercings...

So, are you saying the "boutique" name brand wire wheels don't throw off stray wires at sonic speeds into your bare thigh when you least expect it?

List me those brands, mate. :cheers2:

anickode

Reaction score
So, are you saying the "boutique" name brand wire wheels don't throw off stray wires at sonic speeds into your bare thigh when you least expect it?

List me those brands, mate. :cheers2:

Oh they all do, however better quality wheels take longer to start doing so. Milwaukee makes some really good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.