Hey, need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

First timer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm 13 and this is pretty much my very first time messin with anything with an engine, but really want to start out in that area, and figured this would be a good starter. So what should i do to start out, cuz i got no clue. Pretty desperate. Please help. Anything will help.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

http://www.diygokarts.com/kart-plans/kart-plans-main.html

I recommend that you start there and get some basic info. Then when you have questions, use the search option up there ^ and type in words that relate to what you're wanting to know. Chances are that what you have a question on has been discussed before. If you still can't find the information, make a thread and ask. Post pics when and if you got 'em! Good luck!

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
Well, all I can say, based on my first time experience, go buy a frame thats already put together. I would start with the simplest form of go kart possible. This meaning use a centrifugal clutch, have an already horizontal shaft engine, have the frame already built and welded together, dont use suspension, ect...

I think it would be best to maybe even find a used kart in your local area on craigslist and "fix" it up. Thats what I did for my first kart. It REALLY helped me out because I could see an already assembled kart and learn how it all works. I learned about specialized go kart parts and just about how everything on the kart works. I also drove it for a year and compiled all my knowledge on what could be better and used that knowledge to finally build a kart from scratch.

Also, no offense but you are 13 and you probably dont have access to as many tools as you need. I know that when I was 13 my dad would have never let me weld and cut steel and use saws and all that stuff while he was at work when I was 13 years old. And you also find yourself having to run to the store 5 times a day meaning you need a car or a ride.

Basically all im saying is for your first project ever, and based on your age, I would get an already completed kart and literally just take it all apart and put it back together. (and clean it while youre in the process :thumbsup:) This will give you the understanding of how it all works

Good luck to ya though! message me if you have any other questions!

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Sdannenberg3 Please do not dought the new comer. I'm 14 and I have access to all kinds of welder's including TIG, ARC, OXY, MIG. Also have acces to a machine shop that has CNC machines and Lathes. And plus who cares if we have to run to the store? Us teen's will do it. I will admit I have biked to the stores PLENTY of times already for bolts and such for my clone. Theres nothing like the satisfaction when you finish the motor knowing you put it together.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Also, no offense but you are 13 and you probably dont have access to as many tools as you need. I know that when I was 13 my dad would have never let me weld and cut steel and use saws and all that stuff while he was at work when I was 13 years old. And you also find yourself having to run to the store 5 times a day meaning you need a car or a ride.

Think again.

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
I'm 14 and I have access to all kinds of welder's including TIG, ARC, OXY, MIG. Also have acces to a machine shop that has CNC machines and Lathes.

Are you serious!?!?!?!?! Ohh man that would make my life SOOO much easier on my new frame im building! God you are lucky!

But I didnt mean to start anything here, and I am not doubting him of his skills. I was just thinking of my personal experience and when I was home alone there was just no was I could use power tools even though I was more then capable of doing it safely. Hey man, if you can do it then go for it! jr dragster tyler is right in the fact that when you build something ALL yourself you respect it way more. And you also have fun building it.

But anyway, the point of my post was more about possibly getting an already built go kart for the purpose of learning how all the go kart stuff works. Again, just speaking of experience from what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.