Hey from The Smallest State in The US!

Status
Not open for further replies.

currier35

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! Have you got any karts or projects you are working on or planning?

We love pics

Yes, I do! I currently have a project kart that runs a little bit rough. The engine backfires when I open the throttle more than about half way. Any thread suggestions would be great! I'll be posting pics when I get home later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
That's because all of the fuel isn't getting burned during the power stroke, then it gets sucked out during the exhaust stroke into the tailpipe/muffler... where it "pops" (I think).

Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw on the carb?

Don't take that as gospel, I'm still learning about small engines as well. I get a little backfire on my mini bike when I go from WOT to nothing, but only since I removed the muffler and added a pipe. I assume it's because the engine is breathing out better... but I may be wrong :what: :D

currier35

Reaction score
That's because all of the fuel isn't getting burned during the power stroke, then it gets sucked out during the exhaust stroke into the tailpipe/muffler... where it "pops" (I think).

Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw on the carb?

Don't take that as gospel, I'm still learning about small engines as well. I get a little backfire on my mini bike when I go from WOT to nothing, but only since I removed the muffler and added a pipe. I assume it's because the engine is breathing out better... but I may be wrong :what: :D
Thanks for the help!

The carb has no mixture screw. I believe that it's not the original carb for the engine. I feel like I'm going to be forced to buy the original carb for the engine. :mad2: I must say that I am baffled!

OzFab

Reaction score
We can try to solve the problem in this thread or you can start a new thread & leave this one as an intro, up to you...

Ok, let's start with what make/model engine is it?

currier35

Reaction score
We can continue in this thread then if we figure it out I'll make a new thread in the proper area and link or quote this one.

It's a Tecumseh OHH60-71137C. But, I recently noticed that the carb was not the original. When I took the carb off to clean it, I noticed that it had a Briggs logo on the side.. So, I wrote down the number on it and it is 215369.

Right now the carb as no air filter on it. I thought putting one on might solve my problem, but for some reason that air filter would just leak gas.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

OzFab

Reaction score
There's your first problem, it's a Tecumseh which are notorious for carb problems, hence the switch...

Bottom line, it's supplying more fuel than the engine can use so, it appears Oxymoron is correct, which also explains why you get fuel out the wrong end of the carb; more than likely, it always happens, you just don't notice it without the filter. You need a smaller main jet; post pics of the carb so we can talk you through it...

currier35

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, that makes sense!

I attached some photos of the carb.. Let me know if you need pictures from the other side of it and I can take it off and take more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8

OzFab

Reaction score
That's good :thumbsup:

First thing you need to do is remove the bolt from the very bottom of the carb. Inside the hole the bolt comes out of is the main jet, use a flat screwdriver to remove it...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I like this guy already. He filled out his profile- ( the rest of you lazy noobs take note. ...). I already hate what I just said- not for the people who I directed it at but "the rest of" part. I don't like calling new members "noobs" unless they do something wrong and so far- you've done everything right.

So- Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you. ........

currier35

Reaction score
I like this guy already. He filled out his profile- ( the rest of you lazy noobs take note. ...). I already hate what I just said- not for the people who I directed it at but "the rest of" part. I don't like calling new members "noobs" unless they do something wrong and so far- you've done everything right.

Thank you very much! It's appreciated.

Feel free to join in on this carburetor talk. :thumbsup:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score

I would if it was a Tecumseh carb. I'm not familiar with the carb you have and you seem to be in good hands at the moment. If I can help, I will jump right in, but bad advice offered from ignorance is worse than no advice at all.

FWIW- That is the main jet on some B&S carbs- but, I don't like to give advice unless I am more positive of the quality of my response.

OzFab

Reaction score

OH SNAP! :roflol:

Is this what we are looking for?

That is the main jet on some B&S carbs- but, I don't like to give advice unless I am more positive of the quality of my response.

That's exactly what it is (I think :lolgoku: ). Is there any numbers on the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.