Here Goes, Piranha Done Proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_shot

Reaction score
So im finally starting my second build log of the same buggy:lolgoku: as it was an absolute death trap and no way safe to handle a B&S Engine never mind a Suzuki 1100! Its in the this section of the forum under Scottish piranha if your interested though i suggest looking near the end as alot is me asking queastions, Most probably silly.
I have learned that the project log section should be for that and that only :eek:so moderators may be pleased to know this is strictly what i'm using this thread for:thumbsup:

So here we are not much visual progress atm but i have been busy with prep, prep and more prep, mainly marking out parts (carefully) and roughly cutting leaving room for any fine tuning when comes to that part.

Biggest Holdup atm is getting a Welder, had one but decided to get rid as i want something decent and start as i mean to go on:auto:

Thought i would takes some pics tonight of some of the bits and pieces that are just waiting to be used.Piranha front parts 1.jpg

Piranha Front Parts 6.jpg

Piranha Front Parts 3.jpg

Piranaha front parts 4.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg
got more around the house etc but that's the most of it.
90% of metal ready to weld up the chassis together so big progress to come:popcorn:

souperman000

Reaction score
Looks good so far!

I just have one thing: Are those pillow blocks going to be used for the axle? Those look like stamped steel to me. For your buggy I would definitely look into a cast pair. Much more durable.

fowler

Reaction score
Well good luck

Those red and black ones are for the steering column

But the stamped steel plate ones are used in the rear
The cast ones are prone to vibration and shock loading
Not to mention being really heavy

scott_shot

Reaction score
yep steering is correct, fowlers got the t-shirt and washed the car with it when it comes to a piranha build...me thinks?

as for axles it uses either pto shafts with unit joints like a tractor (smaller obv) or type 2 or 4 cant remember but cv's from a vw or better option. porsche :D

fowler

Reaction score
If u can afford it go for the CVs

Mine came with pto shafts but they don't last long
Ill see how long is not long then get the CVs
I'm hardly out of beginner level
I've just done a lot of reading
And know some people who are considered experts

scott_shot

Reaction score
Got a New toy today :wai:
IMAG0082.jpg
Its an evolution rage 4 there quite good actuallly, cut steel aluminum and wood with the one blade so very handy indeed, as you can see from the pic below cuts cleanly, more than good enough for my chassis :thumbsup: So expect some real progress in the coming weeks:popcorn:
IMAG0094.jpg

Also a couple pics of my welding skills, 1st time with gas mig, only an half hour MAX trigger time and there solid :bannana:
IMAG0085.jpg
IMAG0091.jpg
And random pics of my wheels ready to roll:auto:
IMAG0099.jpg
IMAG0101.jpg
Thats All Folks!!

OzFab

Reaction score
Welding tip: The flatter the weld bead, the better the penetration.

Those welds look a little high to me, maybe need a bit more heat :thumbsup:

scott_shot

Reaction score
Welding tip: The flatter the weld bead, the better the penetration.

Those welds look a little high to me, maybe need a bit more heat :thumbsup:

Yeh buddy cheers, im out of gas so away to get more later for plenty more practice, ive already battered he'll out of it with a good size hammer n no movement and looking through the tubing sum have fully penetrated but most sides look about 75-90% Will be cutting it up for a good look today

Status
Not open for further replies.