Hemi? Or not...

mamoudad

Reaction score
Which 212 is the hemi?
What's the difference between a hemi and a non hemi?
And how do I tell the difference before I buy from harbor freight??

panchothedog

Reaction score
Non hemi has an almost round eight sided valve cover. Hemi has a larger rectangular shaped valve cover. The difference is the way the valves sit in the head and the shape of the combustion chamber. Really makes no difference which one you buy. Only if you start to hop up or modify your engine there are certain parts that are specific to one or the other. Price and availability of aftermarket parts are the same.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
All depends on if you try to build it or not. Or what fuels you try to run. Stock they should be the same. If you are going to run alcohol or nitromethane go hemi. If gasoline go with a wedge head.

redflash

Reaction score
If you live in california one really has NO choice...The hemi's don't seem to meet carb smog specs. When I bought my 212 only non was available.
When I bought my 420....again no hemi in sight !

Da Flash

panchothedog

Reaction score
redflash, same thing here. I live a little north of San Diego and have purchased four of them. Three over the counter in the store and another on line delivered to my home, all were non hemi.

redflash

Reaction score
well, ponch, guess we could drive over to Nevada and get a couple....used to do that when I wanted good epoxy paint.

Da Flash

panchothedog

Reaction score
I hear you on the paint. We have some crazy regulations here. I am fine with the non hemi's. All of mine are built and from what I understand with the hemi you get into valve - piston clearance problems with much less cam lift due to the
canted angle of the valves. So all good here. Enjoying the H out of my retirement tinkering with the karts and engines.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Harbor Freight part # for hemi is 60363, part # for non-hemi is 69730. Be careful though, you can order one part # and get the other engine. Also, the picture on the box can be of a non-hemi, but shoving your hand in thru a carry-hole to feel the valve cover can find a different engine inside. Or vice-versa, I'd guess. Link below shows a picture of a non-hemi, in case you wonder. Shiny octagonal valve cover.
6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine, EPA (harborfreight.com)