Hemi head rebuild

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
Why is it that the hemi heads on a predator 212 have a seal on the intake valve guide but not the exhaust guide? My dad the engine building expert told me that the exhaust guide needs a seal so my piston doesn't get oily carbon buildup on it after an hour of run time

Heres a picture of my head after disassembly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200329-231457.jpg
    Screenshot_20200329-231457.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 9

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
Does nobody know enough to help me on this subject? I can't run my 212 without a intake valve seal. I have new 5.5mm stainless valves in a hemi head with bronze guides. I cant find any seals that are even close to matching the size I need so it wont be running ever if I cant find a seal. It would smoke terribly if I did run it without one

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I think I found a seal that'll work from Z1 Enterprises that has the right dimensions

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Seal is on the intake so oil doesn't get down the stem and burn. It would foul plugs and make an oily fuel mix.
It don't matter on the exhaust. It is on the way out and will either burn or just slime the exhaust.

pearl111

Reaction score
I have 8 hemis two are built (about 16HP /7500RPMs) all the heads are the same seal on intake No seal on exhaust. Even with gov. removed they all run just fine.They are built that way from the factory.

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I have 8 hemis two are built (about 16HP /7500RPMs) all the heads are the same seal on intake No seal on exhaust. Even with gov. removed they all run just fine.They are built that way from the factory.

Do you still have stock valves or 5.5mm stainless valves? The stock intake seal is too small for the bigger valve stem

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
The intake valve is subject to vacuum so it would pull oil into the cylinder. If the exhaust valve bleeds a little oil past it the oil will just be blown out of the exhaust, it’s not very likely to do that since the exhaust side is a pressure pulsation anyway. I never put seals on the exhaust valves.

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I was afraid you were going to say you still had stock valves. I bent a stock valve and cracked a guide so i've been looking around for a 5.5mm seal for the intake side to match the valves I ordered. I think I found one on Z1 Enterprises's website

DirtyDogs446

Reaction score
Sense we are on this subject and I don't want to hijack this thread I have a predator 212 hemi with many upgrades I'm looking for a good head to put in with new valves rockers whole 9 yards can somebody put some links out of everything I will need I'm new to this so the more help the better