Help with Yerf dog start button

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopezmike

Reaction score
Hello
I have a Yerf dog spiderbox gy6 150cc go kart that had ran fine until a couple months ago. We couldnt get it to start using the ignition switch. When we press the switch i hear a click in the back but the starter doesnt turn. And now i don’t hear anything so I replaced the starter solenoid thinking that was the problem and still no luck. It will start and run if I jump across the solenoid using a screwdriver but no luck unsing the switch. So I decided I wanted to go with a key start if I wanted to fix the issue. So if you could please help me wire and fix it, that would be great and really appreciated

lopezmike

Reaction score
Did you check the brake switch? The brake pedal has to be depressed, which trips the brake switch, for the engine to start.

I never had to press the brake switch to start it before, but I’ll make sure again tomorrow. But anything else?

Karttekk

Reaction score
Most buggies have stop switches, one near the ignition switch and one near the engine CDI box. That way you can kill the engine from the front of the kart or the rear. If your kart is equipped with them, bypass them temporarily to see if they're affecting anything. The fact that you hear a click should indicate the stop switches are working but I would bypass them anyway for now.

Thanks

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
I never had to press the brake switch to start it before, but I’ll make sure again tomorrow. But anything else?

This is the brake/safety switch, maybe yours has already been removed. On the one I fixed, I just unplugged it and plugged the incoming leads into each other (bypassing it).

20180429_154639.jpg

You should next check your kill switch and your push button starter switch on the steering column. They are not that great of quality. Can you use a multimeter?

lopezmike

Reaction score
Most buggies have stop switches, one near the ignition switch and one near the engine CDI box. That way you can kill the engine from the front of the kart or the rear. If your kart is equipped with them, bypass them temporarily to see if they're affecting anything. The fact that you hear a click should indicate the stop switches are working but I would bypass them anyway for now.

Thanks

How do I bypass them? And can you send pictures of them? Cause I’ve never seen them before, thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

This is the brake/safety switch, maybe yours has already been removed. On the one I fixed, I just unplugged it and plugged the incoming leads into each other (bypassing it).

View attachment 105725

You should next check your kill switch and your push button starter switch on the steering column. They are not that great of quality. Can you use a multimeter?

I’ll check if my brake switch is unplugged once i get home. But I have something similar to the multimeter, mine is to check if there is voltage, when I use it I get voltage to the kill switch and lights but not to the button

Karttekk

Reaction score
Stop switches are usually mounted in housings with clip retainers. They have lugs on the bottom where spade lugs slip over them. The easiest way to bypass them is to remove them from their housings, pull the wires off the lugs then connect the ends together somehow. This way the power is going straight through opposed to through the switch.

Thanks

Attachments

• stop_switch.jpg
    stop_switch.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3

Karttekk

Reaction score
Here's a better image courtesy of Extreme Motor Sales. They're usually red spring loaded buttons.

Thanks

Attachments

• kart_stop_switch.jpg
    kart_stop_switch.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2

lopezmike

Reaction score
This is how mine is, and pressing the brake didn’t do anything

Attachments

• 99F50C56-0E0F-4568-AEC2-D59F1DECE3C3.jpg
    99F50C56-0E0F-4568-AEC2-D59F1DECE3C3.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 16

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
How do I do that? I mean the switch ran good before and that’s how it was. But how do I plug it in then?

From your picture, the brake switch is already bypassed, so just leave it like that. If it was working before, than something has failed, by all the mud on your kart, it's possible mud/water has shorted something out.

lopezmike

Reaction score
From your picture, the brake switch is already bypassed, so just leave it like that. If it was working before, than something has failed, by all the mud on your kart, it's possible mud/water has shorted something out.

So should I cut the sleeve to the the wires going to the start button and see if anything is wrong?

lopezmike

Reaction score
So I got the start button working by using a new button and new wire. I put the wires straight to the solenoid and it fired up! So I was wondering if I should replace the old wires with new ones and run them through the cdi and stuff or just run new longer wire straight to the solenoid bypassing all the cdi and stuff? Thanks

Karttekk

Reaction score
Try the new button with the existing wires, more than likely it was the button. If not, I would wire it according to factory specs. Usually factory is best for proper overall functionality.

Thanks

lopezmike

Reaction score
Try the new button with the existing wires, more than likely it was the button. If not, I would wire it according to factory specs. Usually factory is best for proper overall functionality.

Thanks

Ok thanks, and turns out both the switch and wires are bad

lopezmike

Reaction score

Thanks

Can I just wire two new wires to the solenoid and start button? Cause the the old wires with the new button didn’t work

Karttekk

Reaction score
Do whatever you think will work. Normally most of us here try to do things safely if not factory. I can't suggest you do something that isn't recommended. If you're comfortable with your decision see what happens.

Thanks

lopezmike

Reaction score
Do whatever you think will work. Normally most of us here try to do things safely if not factory. I can't suggest you do something that isn't recommended. If you're comfortable with your decision see what happens.

Thanks

Will anything bad happen if I wire it straight to the solenoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.