Help with streaker go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImthePrez

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello all, I have a streaker go kart that i've had over 10 years. I'm not sure of the model but it's a 1 seater, has 5hp Briggs motor with torque converter, no roll cage.

It needs some work since it's just been sitting and I think it would be fun to fix up and was wondering if anyone knew any upgraded motor that would work or any other upgraded parts that would work. Ill post a pic tomorrow of the kart
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
A small (dirt)bike/quad engine would increase the performance. You could also drop in a larger horizontal shaft engine. For the power to space consumption ratio, a (dirt)bike/quad engine would be your best bet assuming that 1 seater isn't too roomy in the motor area. You could also mod your briggs with an air filter, exhaust, removal of the governor, billet fly wheel, boring, milling, stronger valve springs, or a better carb. What else am I forgetting here? I know there's other stuff.
 

jeremybentham

New member
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
Location
Dutch Country
You could also mod your briggs with an air filter, exhaust, removal of the governor, billet fly wheel, boring, milling, stronger valve springs, or a better carb. What else am I forgetting here? I know there's other stuff.

My Streaker is in my profile pic. "The Rebel Yell"

Billet rod if you remove the governor, please. Also, camshaft, relieving the block, basic carb overhaul, (diaphragm, surfacing diaphragm plate, etc.) smoothing all the sharp angles inside the carb, there are many free/cheap upgrades for a basic briggs flatty.
 
Last edited:

ImthePrez

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
so i can basically use the briggs motor on it and just "soup" it up?

My streaker has big nobby tires on the back and smaller ones on the front.. almost exactly like the one in the movie "The Little Giants" ive tried to find pics of similar models on the internet and couldnt, Im sure someone here has one or seen one. Thanks for the help guys...once I get the kart to my new house and start the project ill be asking all kinds of questions.:thumbsup:



__________________
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
You may spend more money (150+) hopping up a 5hp-ish motor with a top rpm of say 5500 where you could pick up a 125cc bike for the same amount that cranks out 10+hp stock, has a gear box, and revs to 8000+ without risking failure. Plus, it won't eat TC belts on a 30 series/TAV2 if the briggs is pushed beyond 8hp.
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
Yes, you might spend that much acquiring that engine, but modifying the frame and accounting for personal time spent would more than overload the cost benefit in my opinion. You also have to keep in mind that these karts use stamped parts which makes going over 40 on them not a terribly good idea without modifications to the wheels and steering.

A few small mods to his engine may be reasonable, however for most individuals running his engine to red line would be more than enough speed.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Very true blaz. The stage is set, now you pick and we'll lend a hand.
 

ImthePrez

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the great info guys!! Ill probably just do a few mods to the current motor so I wont have to do all the extra mods to support a new bigger motor (although a new bigger motor would pushing 8-11 hp would be badass)

Any place I can find stock parts and other stuff for my model streaker? I still need to go pick it up, just gotta find time.
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
Email me and I'll do my best to tell you what you have if you can give me pictures and where to get replacement, ken-bar is out of business but their parts are still out they. They were a great company that used common parts with industrial bolt patterns.

I'm not saying Ken-Bar is down for the count forever but in this economy it'll be hard for them to produce karts at that price for at least the next year or so.
 

ImthePrez

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Ill have pics posted soon...after she is all fixed up I wonder what I could sell it for...if I decided to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top