Help with sprockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Dad

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
I am working on a Manco kart I bought for my grandkids. The original sprockets were made of stamped steel and did not last one summer. The kart came with a 10 tooth clutch to a 36 tooth on a jack shaft with a 12 tooth on the shaft to a 36 tooth on the axle. I removed the jack shaft and sprockets.I bought a 10 tooth max torque clutch and a 48 tooth for the axle. The new items are for #40 chain. The kart will not move. The clutch slips gets very hot quick.
The kart has a curb weight of 224# and 145/70 tires. My yard is not to rough and I think 15-20 mph would be ok.I am new to karting and would like to get it going for them.Thanks
 

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
13
Location
The Nation's Catbox...er, AZ.
If I did my calculations right, you went from a 10.8>1 ratio to a 4.8>1 ratio. (If you ditched the jackshaft.) I'm guessing your Manco is like mine- with the detachable sprocket (on a hub with 6 bolts?).... try to order a 72 tooth sprocket from manco, or a dealer. My kart came stock with one, and it got around fine with a 5hp and two people in it. It maxed out at 23 mph @ 3600 rpm. My tires are similar sized to yours.
 

Grand Dad

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Thanks for the quick replies. I will measure the tires today. I did remove the jack shaft it was junk both mid sprockets were made together. I will order a 72t sprocket and give it a try.
I not plan to put the jack shaft back in. I understand the ratio with two sprockets but how do you figure with a jack shaft with two more sprockets. I must have been sleeping that day at school.
 

Grand Dad

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Thanks for the info Kaptian! My tire diameter is 13.5 inches. Where can I find a 72t sprocket for #40 chain? Or should I revert back to #35? I changed to #40 because #35 was stretching. I changed to #40 clutch,sprocket and chain. Will #35 carry the load? Open to all suggestions.....
 

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Messages
460
Reaction score
3
Location
Wolf Point, Montana
I agree with Mr. Jerry. 72 tooth is good.
One thing though...chain does not actually stretch.
Can be minimized by frequently cleaning and re-lubing with a chain specific lubricant. Many on the market. Most work equally well.
Plain oil or grease is bad news for obvious reasons.
 

alexdegnall

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
i have a home made go kart with a 10 clutch and a 60 sprocket the chains to big and slips off and i cant cut it because it wont fit and im wondering if a smaller sprocket would make it go slower or faster or the same and if the smaller sprocket would work what size shud i get
 

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
4
Location
Alto, tx
hey guys chains do stretch, this is usually what eats the sprockets . run em in then when you are maxed on adjustment you should be able to remove one inner and outer link ( 1 total link) this is very common on motorcycles. known as break in period i think.
 

Grand Dad

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Success...

Thanks for the help guys! I got a 60t sprocket and installed it Friday. Everything works good. 10t clutch with 60t driven sprocket with #40 chain. My grand son is very pleased. Thanks again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top