help with predator throttle setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckwheat

New member
Messages
70
Reaction score
4
Location
Lilburn, GA
All of the above descriptions have failed to mention he needs to add a return spring to the throttle arm.
Also, the lock nut atop the throttle arm needs to be loosened & a nylon washer or washers added to take up the slack in the loosened assembly.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
A simple spring from the hardware store will do. attache it to the arm(might have to drill a little hole for it to seat into). and to the fan/recoil cover.

 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
All of the above descriptions have failed to mention he needs to add a return spring to the throttle arm.
Also, the lock nut atop the throttle arm needs to be loosened & a nylon washer or washers added to take up the slack in the loosened assembly.

The throttle arm has a small return spring already installed out of the box. Most non-homemade karts have a wound spring on the pedal that acts as the return spring, or a spring on the throttle rod itself that acts as a return spring. The stock/already installed return spring is a little weak though, and if you don't already have another spring on the kart somewhere in addition to the one on the engine, then these other springs will help make the throttle return back to "turtle mode".

If you can press on the gas pedal, then when you release, the throttle goes ALL the way back to 'turtle/closed butterfly', then you have accomplished the goal.

If you press on the gas pedal, but the throttle will partially return (eg you can still move the throttle back to turtle mode by hand after nothing is touching the gas pedal) then you will need one of these extra springs. I have seen them connected to a small hole drilled in the muffler heat sheild (not the muffler itself) and the example of the one connected to the recoil shroud is what I also did to my mini bike.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
All of the above descriptions have failed to mention he needs to add a return spring to the throttle arm.
Also, the lock nut atop the throttle arm needs to be loosened & a nylon washer or washers added to take up the slack in the loosened assembly.

UHHHHH, go back and look at my pic, and you WILL see a return spring mounted to the throttle arm....... :thumbsup:
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Ok have the old motor off and put the new one on. When I try to put the new clutch on and tighten the bolt to the shaft that keeps it from coming off it slides unroll it pushes the key out of the beveled edge of the key inlay, I beleive the key is too long. Also dies the chain hold the clutch from sliding in ?
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the info but kinda seems like your being a ---- and if I were on a computer id put pics but thanks anyway ***
 
Last edited by a moderator:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
The chain does not hold the clutch or keep it from sliding. Its only for power transfer. Try putting the key inside the clutch, with the keyway on the bottom. Turn crank so keyway is on the bottom. Try it like that. The key should be shorter than clutch and not stick out at all...
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Thanks for the info but kinda seems like your being a ---- and if I were on a computer id put pics but thanks anyway ***

WHOOAAAA!!!! NO NEED IN THAT!!!! We are all here to help. It helps US to have a pic of what youre talking about. I post from my phone, not a laptop, and I have no ptoblems posting pics.
Your post will get you a short ban or a permanent ban. You gotta be peaceful and no foul language on here!!! There ARE kids reading this stuff..... Grow up, get a grip..... Calm down some son, youll be ok.....:thumbsup:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Thanks for the info but kinda seems like your being a ---- and if I were on a computer id put pics but thanks anyway ***

Seriously? Have you read the forum rules? Not to mention, do you know who you're talking to? As firemanjim said, you could cop a ban for that & I can impose it...

I'm not trying to be a heavy, nor am I trying to "be a ----" as you put it, just simply doing my job enforcing the rules of the forum...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Get a photobucket account and link from there. If mobile sites are a problem there is a standard site link at the bottom for PB, and most other websites.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,797
Reaction score
594
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Thanks for the info but kinda seems like your being a ---- and if I were on a computer id put pics but thanks anyway ***

Seriously? Have you read the forum rules? Not to mention, do you know who you're talking to? As firemanjim said, you could cop a ban for that & I can impose it...

I'm not trying to be a heavy, nor am I trying to "be a ----" as you put it, just simply doing my job enforcing the rules of the forum...

As moderators, you do NOT want to get on our bad side. If you had taken time to read the rules of the site as you were supposed to, we would not be having this conversation.

We have helped you out a whole bunch, and the first negative you see makes you go off like that? Seriously.....

Grow up :mad2: :mad2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Sorry, frustrated with this cart and maybe took it the wrong way.
I know pics would help a whole bunch and as soon as I can figure out how to post them I deff will
and once again sorry about the last post I'm letting this cart get the best of me and shouldnt have said that.
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
here's the pic of my clutch, seems to have the key built in but never fooled with these little motors so don't know.....but I can stick it on the shaft and it turns everything just fine. am I wrong or right guys. once I get this figured out I can gas and go!

hope my relationship with this site isn't a shortly lived one because of my post.....
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0026 (2).jpg
    IMAG0026 (2).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Just don't let it happen again.

Moving on: the key is indeed integrated into the clutch. It almost looks like the clutch you have is designed for a stepped crank.

Regarding the throttle connection- don't let first observations fool you. The manual throttle control is NOT supposed to do anything while the engine is off. You have it right when the factory lever sits at idle (turtle) when you're not touching the gas pedal, pressing the gas pedal full moves the factory lever to full position (bunny), and releasing the pedal allows the factory lever to fully and immediately return to idle.
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I thought the key was part of the clutch....thanks so much guys looks like I'm safe to bolt the motor down and get goin... You guys are awsone and I will post pics of the cart tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top