help with predator throttle setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Bought a cart for my son for Xmas and I want to replace the old motor. Since I can't find a setup for the old one for my cart I'm asking in advance for some advice on what I will need for the new motor. Any advice will help and I can send pics but don't know how to do it on here from my phone.
THANKS
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
59
Location
Dallas, TX
the predator will come already set up with two throttle stops and a cable holder. There is a small screw on the cable holding bracket that you unscrew, then put the end (metal part) of the cable housing on it and tighten the screw. Thread the throttle cable through the throttle stop (making sure that the throttle stop screw is backed out) then tighten the throttle stop screw onto the cable.

I would also suggest buying a new cable for good measure as well, but your old one should work fine.

In other words, you dont need any extra stuff besides your throtte cable itself.
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
the predator will come already set up with two throttle stops and a cable holder. There is a small screw on the cable holding bracket that you unscrew, then put the end (metal part) of the cable housing on it and tighten the screw. Thread the throttle cable through the throttle stop (making sure that the throttle stop screw is backed out) then tighten the throttle stop screw onto the cable.

I would also suggest buying a new cable for good measure as well, but your old one should work fine.

In other words, you dont need any extra stuff besides your throtte cable itself.

:iagree: ... but IMO, Id also get new motor mounts(not necessary... but possibly easier to adjust chain tension w/ new ones vs the older ones).
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
throttle

th old cable is pretty messed up and no good, I took it off yesterday and threw it away do to being in such bad shape, where can I go to get a new one...by the way thanks for the info
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
59
Location
Dallas, TX
Cables have different ways of hooking up. For the most part they are the same, but have a different way of attaching to the throttle foot pedal. Some have a cylinder end, some have a sphere end, some have a round eyelet end. There are generic bike cables at Walmart that could match your cable. Ebay or bmi karts.com... You have to know how long and cut to size and what type of cable end you need
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
If I knew how to send pics on here from my phone I could show you the hook up on my cart, the cable doesn't connect directly to the pedal..the pedal has a rod that runs to the back of the cart and the cable connects there, looks like I just need a 20'' cable with straight wire at the end of the throttle cable to connect to it
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Get a universal brake cable assembly from walmart, I think they are about $10, in the bike section, or look at a local bicycle shop to see what they can hook you up with.

Alot of shops have a junk box of stuff, they might even give you what you need.
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I'm looking at the motor I just bought it, I see the throttle screws but I don't under stand how to get the cable connected to where it will move the throttle any...I'm about to go to Walmart to see what the cable looks like
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
It seems like I need to connect to the moving peace underneath the gas tank, if I connect to the other stuff with the screws and all it will only control the turtle and bunny speed, what am I doing wrong lol
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
it will only control the turtle and bunny speed

That's the throttle control!

DO NOT connect anything to the parts under the tank or you'll mess up the governor.

Did you back off the nut holding the throttle control plate?

There are many threads on this subject, perhaps you may benifit from the search function
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Just did and it is now loose. Seems like I'm heading in the right direction but that doesn't seem to control the throttle if I hook a cable to that nut yet where do I go from here?
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
It seems like the only way to get a full throttle out of this thing is if I push the peice under the gas tank all the way forward while the lever is all the way on bunny mode (lol). When the lever is pushed to bunny it seems like the throttle control is where I should be hooked up to in order to get a throttle response. I'm so confused tight now because the vidoes I'm watching makes it seem like the throttle housing is where I hook the pedal up to to get a real throttle out of this thing
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Here is a pic of how I did my daughters predator.... hope it helps.....
 

Attachments

  • 1387412613811.jpg
    1387412613811.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 56

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Ok just realized after taking the air filter housing off that pushing on the throttle control only closes the carb not open it.... So throttle housing loose after loosening the nut on it and seems like if I hook a cable to it now I will be good. Am I heading in the right direction now guys?
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Only question now is what brake line should I get... I bought a bike kit such has spehere on one end and ball on the other . Can't fit neither through the hole on the 10 ml nut with screw on the throttle housing so what kind should I get? I'm now only confused on how to connect a cable and such kind to get
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Ok, let's start from the beginning:

The throttle on a Honda or clone (such as a predator) Is governed to 3600rpm; whether you give it half or full throttle, it will only ever rev to a max 3600rpm. By pushing the lever under the tank you are manually overriding the governor which is NOT a good idea.

The governor can be adjusted slightly (to around 4000rpm) or removed completely; you can't simply disconnect it as there are plastic parts inside the engine the will explode & cause major damage to the internals of the engine.

The way we have all described is THE way to connect a cable to the throttle control...

As for which cable: One end of your cable needs to be cut off, which one depends on your pedal setup.

One you've removed one end of the inner cable, remove it from the outer, secure the end at the engine under the bracket on the throttle assenbly base plate & run the outer where it needs to be up to the pedal. Once your happy with the positioning, feed the inner cable through the pedal stop then through the outer cable up to the engine, feeding the end through the cable clamp on the throttle assembly.
 

kspray

New member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I think I pretty much have it thanks for all the advice you have givin me I will try to set it all up this evening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top