• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Help with my stereo amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Im having trouble with one of my stereo amps. I picked it up while it was on, it shocked me, and now it wont work, when i turn it on all the lights go on and it does nothing. If anyone here can help, i can give more info but i was wondering mainly if anyone knows of a good forum that could help me?

If anyone can help, its a old yamaha 28-A natural sound stereo amplifier.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
if he shocked you it's mostly a ground problem... open it up look for any disconected wire/bad ground point, also there might be several fuses, check them all

lemegacool

Reaction score
I dont feel like spending the money, this one was free. Where are/how should i check the relays?

relays are usually big transparent boxes with a coil and switch inside, unhook them (they usually are on a socket) then apply direct voltage(usually 12-24v but some are 120v...) on the coils's pin you should hear a "click"... other than that maybe power transistors are bad...

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
No relays as far as i know...

Well i just noticed something, the circuit board for input, where all the AV cables plug in, is probably what shorted out. Thats just about the only place the case could have touched, and shorted out the whole little board. That would also explain why all the lights light up on the selector panel thing when i plug it in. Heres some pictures of what i mean.

Inputs.

Input circuit board where the case could have touched it and shorted it out.

other side of input board.

These are the buttons you press to select which input you want to use, theres a light above each marking, only one is supposed to be on normally, but now when i plug it in they all go on.

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
ok how much does the power does the head unit have and wats the peak on the speakers...

also u know they do sell 150w amps at autozone for like $25. and u can tune any car amp to your speakers peak range dude

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Right, but i dont even want to spend $25... My head unit is 50Wx4 so thats only 50 per speaker, since its not bridgeable. The speakers i got in my room are big old Sansui 5 way speakers, 2 tweeters, two mids, and a big 12 in each box. they say 60w max on the back but they can handle at least 150w, i have them hooked up to a 100w surround sound amp right now, but its a funky amp, its got bad wiring somewhere, so only the right speaker works most of the time. I had them pushed to the full 100w, and they didnt waiver.

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
then hook them both up to the right output. i'm no expert but the same thing happened to me a few times thats why i stick to car audio, but didn't u same u had a car stereo amp just use that.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
then hook them both up to the right output. i'm no expert but the same thing happened to me a few times thats why i stick to car audio, but didn't u same u had a car stereo amp just use that.

no, not anymore haha, i still have the sub tho :bannana:

I'll probably check out salvation army tomorrow for amps, im heading into town for some spindle parts for my muddin mower anyways.

lemegacool

Reaction score
Right, but i dont even want to spend $25... My head unit is 50Wx4 so thats only 50 per speaker, since its not bridgeable. The speakers i got in my room are big old Sansui 5 way speakers, 2 tweeters, two mids, and a big 12 in each box. they say 60w max on the back but they can handle at least 150w, i have them hooked up to a 100w surround sound amp right now, but its a funky amp, its got bad wiring somewhere, so only the right speaker works most of the time. I had them pushed to the full 100w, and they didnt waiver.

try some speakers like these integrated 400w amps 15" woofers! thats my room's speakers!

lol no seriouly they are my dj'ing speakers lol i have a homemade amp & speakers in my room

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
My friends got a 1600w amp and a couple 400w subs in his room, powered by a 600w computer power supply (which doesnt even give him enough power to go to full volume). The lock on his shed, which is probably 30ft from his house, will shake.

Home made speakers you say? wanna show some pics of those?

I made a few myself, but i used 32 gauge enamel coated wire, so the resistance was like 50 ohms when i was finished, and as you can guess i barely got sound haha, the cone was just plain cardboard from a cracker box, and it almost caught fire.

lemegacool

Reaction score
here ya go... the black spot was some personnal papers LOL, the speakers got an internal crossovers boards . you can see the homemade amp & homemade vu meters on top of it. the amp is 2x30W RMS ! at full volume my ears hurts!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Wait, you made those speakers? like from scratch?! thats ****in crazy good work dude. The one i made was little, and made out of glue and construction paper haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.