Help with kart width

srbade

Reaction score
New to building a kart so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1"x32" live axle with pillow blocks how wide should the back of the frame be to mount the pillow blocks. The rear tires are (11 x 6.00-5)

redflash

Reaction score
you know if this guys not capable of determining this.....then he won't be very capable of figuring much else out. Is he asking us to do his work for him ? wow, sorry just seems before you start buying stuff, you better have measurements of what you'll do with it !

Da redflash

electraglide

Reaction score
I've never built a go kart frame but I have built other things. I use Sketchup ( a 3d CAD computer aided design software ), I also use Photoshop to design and be able to move things around to make things fit. If you you don't have access to these, you can also do the same with pencil and paper ( just have to do a lot of erasing to get the desired spacing ) Draw sketches of all the parts involve making sure they are all to scale or a fraction .. ie 1/4 scale, 1/8 scale ... etc. Arrange all the parts so they don't interfere or overlap each other. Make notes of the measurements on you drawing and that is your template diagram. You can also dry fit the actual parts. Put the tires on the axle ( by itself ) estimate where the engine is going to go to include the TC and the brake assembly. I would place the pillow blocks about 2" from the tire hub. By all means consult a second opinion or maybe more. You want to do this only once. This is similar to reverse engineering. You assemble the rear end and build the frame around that. Instead of building the frame first then try and fit all the rear end parts to fit the frame. Not being able to make adjustments.

Last edited:

srbade

Reaction score
WOW HOLY CRAP
just asked for a measurement so I could get laying out some steel . The parts won't be here till next week . Obviously this is the Wrong place too ask for a little help . I didn't ask anybody to build it for me. Just thought that there Might be a Measurement For where pillow blocks go Depending on the length of the axle. Such as X amount is a good starting length sticking out of the pillow block For hubs and tires. I Joined this forum To see what other people are building, working on and maybe get some help on what I'm building But Obviously I was wrong I guess it's harder to answering of question. It's easier to talk down to people. Go ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself go for it.

you know if this guys not capable of determining this.....then he won't be very capable of figuring much else out. Is he asking us to do his work for him ? wow, sorry just seems before you start buying stuff, you better have measurements of what you'll do with it !

Da redflash

I've never built a go kart frame but I have built other things. I use Sketchup ( a 3d CAD computer aided design software ), I also use Photoshop to design and be able to move things around to make things fit. If you you don't have access to these, you can also do the same with pencil and paper ( just have to do a lot of erasing to get the desired spacing ) Draw sketches of all the parts involve making sure they are all to scale or a fraction .. ie 1/4 scale, 1/8 scale ... etc. Arrange all the parts so they don't interfere or overlap each other. Make notes of the measurements on you drawing and that is your template diagram. You can also dry fit the actual parts. Put the tires on the axle ( by itself ) estimate where the engine is going to go to include the TC and the brake assembly. I would place the pillow blocks about 2" from the tire hub. By all means consult a second opinion or maybe more. You want to do this only once. This is similar to reverse engineering. You assemble the rear end and build the frame around that. Instead of building the frame first then try and fit all the rear end parts to fit the frame. Not being able to make adjustments.

electraglide

Reaction score
I suggested 2" from the hub. But that may may not work depending on what brake system your gonna use. Disk, friction ( brake shoe ) friction ( band ) one of those will need to be near the wheel hub. You didn't include that info in you question so that makes it hard to give you a direct answer. Once you figure all of what you are going to use and do what I suggested ( dry assembly of all parts ) then you make allowances for the pillow blocks. There is no right/clear answer to a question like that especially when all the deciding factors are not included in the question. Especially a custom build kart that no one has seen or heard of before. All karts include the same type parts but differ in shape, sizes and are arrange differently.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
WOW HOLY CRAP
just asked for a measurement so I could get laying out some steel . The parts won't be here till next week . Obviously this is the Wrong place too ask for a little help . I didn't ask anybody to build it for me. Just thought that there Might be a Measurement For where pillow blocks go Depending on the length of the axle. Such as X amount is a good starting length sticking out of the pillow block For hubs and tires. I Joined this forum To see what other people are building, working on and maybe get some help on what I'm building But Obviously I was wrong I guess it's harder to answering of question. It's easier to talk down to people. Go ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself go for
Redflash is always a bit of a smart***, we have had our issues but I'd say we get along fine now. However, your complaint about Electroglide is completely unfounded. He gave you great information that you would have to work with some. Yes, this forum is full of (sometimes grumpy) old men. Unfortunately this is an Internet forum full of people, not perfect people. Give us some slack. And to answer your question, about 2 inches, give or take. Not to much so you don't bend the axle, but enough for some tire clearance and room for any tire upgrades you might want to do in the future.

redflash

Reaction score
Just old, and little patience left, certainly no offence intended. Sometimes we get some new people on this site that are hard to figure if they're for real or just putting us on. good luck with the project.
And bacon......all respect to you !

Da redflash

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Just old, and little patience left, certainly no offence intended. Sometimes we get some new people on this site that are hard to figure if they're for real or just putting us on. good luck with the project.
And bacon......all respect to you !

Da redflash
To you as well!

electraglide

Reaction score
All this CAD and pencil and paper BS is over rated.
Just use vice grips, a welder (pencil & paper)
And a sawzall (eraser) more fun that way….:rolleyes:

ya need pretty thick skin if ya want to hang with us crumedgeons!
That don't make no sense.jpg

Sorry but CAD is not BS and not over rated. Use by many designers. The method evolved from pencil and paper which you included as being BS but then included in your “ Just Use “ sentence. Make up your mind. Some people just don’t evolve and settle for what they can’t comprehend. Don’t knock it brother. Red-Neck engineering is ok for some parts of this country

Last edited:

Master Hack

Reaction score
Sorry but CAD is not BS and not over rated. Use by many designers. The method evolved from pencil and paper which you included as being BS but then included in your “ Just Use “ sentence. Make up your mind. Some people just don’t evolve and settle for what they can’t comprehend. Don’t knock it brother. Red-Neck engineering is !!! ……. Well … let’s just leave it at that
Sorry, just joking….
But then l have no computer skills, something about old dogs and new tricks, so l guess the jokes on me!

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Seriously, they may of sounded smart azzed BUT, without knowing

1) hub width and backspace,
2) wheel backspace
3) width of tire sidewall

w/o those there is know way to know how wide frame can be.

get all those parts and slide the pillow blocks on the axle, followed by locking collars and spacers (if using them) and then the hubs and wheels and tires. Tighten down hub nuts and then you can mock up where to put pillow blocks and then that is how wide it can be.

Also don't forget engine and T/C placement.....the above should give you a start point

and :welcome2:

@srbade

electraglide

Reaction score
Depends :unsure:

What kind of beer, and don't say "free' :p

Back in the day I drank malt liquor. then lager beer ... now Bud Light, is all I can handle ( no shame in that ) . I'm drinking one right now. Got two hands ... one for turning wrenches and hammering or tv remote ... the other is for the beer. You'r right Master Hack ...... I'm taking a chance with corn nuts and pork cracklins.

Last edited: