Help with floor jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
My floor jack has been acting weird for a while. It acts like it doesn't have any power. It'll go up to whatever I'm trying to lift, but it won't lift it. Which, from what I understand, is what happens when a jack wears out. But the weird part is that it will stay there, without falling down, even if I stand on it. Does anyone know what could cause this. I'm thinking a seal somewhere had a blowout. Also I don't really have any information on it, so I'm not sure if it's worth a rebuild.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Well, the sticker on the side says Penske, but I didn't think they made jacks. And the only number I could find was 177857. My dad did say it was a cheap jack, so I may end up buying a new one.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Is it Yellow by chance? More than likely it was a K-Mart special back in the late 90s early 2000s for like $15.00. Sounds like it was a 2ton jack.

Today is the last day for the Harbor Freight parking lot sale, so I'd hurry over and get a new jack.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Is it Yellow by chance? More than likely it was a K-Mart special back in the late 90s early 2000s for like $15.00. Sounds like it was a 2ton jack.

Today is the last day for the Harbor Freight parking lot sale, so I'd hurry over and get a new jack.

Get the 3 ton daytona! I love mine big time, and always recommend them.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Get the 3 ton daytona! I love mine big time, and always recommend them.
That's close to $200. Worth it, but if one only needs a cheap jack, the one for $69.99 would suffice. But I agree, the Daytona would be a great jack to have.

Smerft85

Reaction score
That's close to $200. Worth it, but if one only needs a cheap jack, the one for $69.99 would suffice. But I agree, the Daytona would be a great jack to have.

Mine was $129 with coupon. I never pass up using HF coupins, when you can use a stack at a time, I'm known locally for 50% or more off each order. When I found a digital coupon for a $.25 razor knife, I'd combine it with a free headlamp, free tarp or other decent free item, and walk out with two items for $.27 daily, where else can you get two functional items for a quarter and two pennies?

There are several varieties of the Daytona jacks, mine is the "standard" 3 ton and the most affordable of the line, the long reach low profile would be sweet, but it is the one at $200 with a coupin. Google the harbor freight coupon database and see what they have on the jacks, even the little trolley jack has a coupon for like $19.99 or something like that, but I bend and break trolleys way before their time, so I upgraded this time.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Yeah, it's yellow. I kind of figured it was a cheap jack based on the build. I'll do some lookin' around for a new one. I figure, anything's better than the scissor jack I'm using. Thanks for the help.

Randy Forbes

Reaction score
This AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ is at the opposite end of the jack price/quality spectrum, but it's a prime example of you get what you pay for (10-yr warranty on frame, 3 on hydraulics). Long & low, but not light (on your wallet). My wife bought this one for my birthday, 18 or 19 yrs ago (well, I picked it out, but we used her credit card ;) )

This picture from fifteen (15) years ago shows nearly* the extreme lift which it can be used at.

* it was not raised to its max height, as on these cars ('99-'02 BMW M Coupe or Rdstr) the lip of the front bumper will touch the ground first__have to keep an eye on that!

About a week ago, I had another customer's car in the same position for power-washing the underside (both front & back + engine compartment). I always tell people that "if I get dirty working on your car, it costs more!" While joking, it is true, since I have to take the extra__billable__time to wash it down (paint won't stick to dirt, and I don't want to introduce dirt/debris to any of the mechanicals I have to take apart).

Here's the AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ manufacturer's spec page:
http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/us/products/hydraulic-jacks/dk13hlq/

While its max rated capacity is 2900# (oddly, mine says 2800#...) it is not like you'd ever lift the entire car/truck with it, typically just one end. I have used it to lift one end or the other of BMW X5s before (that brand's SAV/SUV).

Amazon link; including free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Hydraulic-DK13HLQ-Long-Reach/dp/B074QSCV5Q

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
That one is a bit outside my price range. Plus I picked up a real clean 2 ton for $20 at the local flea market a few months back (I also got a 12" craftsman crescent wrench for $3).

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
with mine, when the release valve screw thingy isn't fully closed,
it can't lift a thing either but will stay up as long as the handle is up.

since I usually store it with the release open (down being usually the last direction to go ;))
the threads collect dirt and it's not closing properly sometimes,
which gives me that above behaviour.
opening up the release again,
cleaning the thread with a wire brush maybe adding a drop of penetrating oil
and it's always been back at work.
(have it for 20 some years now at it was the cheapest I could find back then)

So check the release before you toss it out, maybe you're lucky and it's the same with yours.

'sid

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I checked the release on it a few months ago, but I'll check it again. I may disassemble it and see if I can get it working again. But it's missing one of the wheel bushings, and the nut for that wheel. I did find the wheel though (it was in one of the piles on my dads side of the garage). But the new (to me) one works great, and is much easier than the scissor jack from the Buick.

Status
Not open for further replies.