Help with engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miky

Reaction score
So I found another engine on the junkyard, it's 8hp flathead. Only paid 5 bucks when you convert. It works great but problem is it is running counter clockwise. It has open pull rope ignition sistem:huh:
At first I wanted karting but with this engine it Is maybe better to go with go kart.
What do you guys think?

Yeah that is a fire extinguisher, that is going to be fuel tank, one more thing, the engine is very heavy. If I'm going to build a kart I need to put the engine on the opposite side then normal because of counter clockwise rotation

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
WAIT! WHAT? It looks to me like you wind the starter rope on clockwise on the starter pulley....which would make it run clockwise.....unless clocks run a different direction in Croatia.....Or am I seeing that pulley wrong?

machinist@large

Reaction score
WAIT! WHAT? It looks to me like you wind the starter rope on clockwise on the starter pulley....which would make it run clockwise.....unless clocks run a different direction in Croatia.....Or am I seeing that pulley wrong?

You are seeing it wrong, engine is running counter clockwise, for sure

He right Doug; when I zoom in on the rope cup, it's designed for a CCW pull as seen from the flywheel end, which would give it a CW rotation at the output end of the crank shaft.

Miky, the rotation direction isn't a deal breaker, so if you plan on using it, it'll just require a bit more creativity on your part. It also sound's like you're putting some serious thought into how to get there, which make's me think that you'll get it to work...

:popcorn: :popcorn: I'm waiting to see how this works out...... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Miky

Reaction score
Maybe this is better because clutch or jackshaft is going to be away from me but the rope cup is going to be next to me. I don't like that so I started thinking about
but problem is all rope pull thing (I don't know how it's called) are for clockwise rotation

OzFab

Reaction score
I see the issue; it's not that the internals are any different, it's the externals that are different, the crank is reversed from what we're used to seeing...

In most cases, the starter is on the right side of the engine & the PTO is on the left; this engine is reversed...

The simplest way to make it work on a kart is to reverse it but, that will mean the carb & exhaust will be next to the seat...

Another option is to incorporate a FNR gearbox...

As for the pull starter, IMO, OEM would be the best solution...

Miky

Reaction score
So I adjusted the valves but I am facing another problem, when I give full throttle the engine stalls, sometimes it shuts off. Maybe carb problem and the valves are overlapping somewhere around T.D.C.

OzFab

Reaction score
So I adjusted the valves but I am facing another problem, when I give full throttle the engine stalls, sometimes it shuts off.

That sounds like a carb issue to me; remove & thoroughly clean the carb...

Maybe carb problem and the valves are overlapping somewhere around T.D.C.

Is that one or two separate points?

The valves are meant to overlap at TDC between the exhaust & intake strokes...

Anyone? What is the size of piston pin on Predator 212?

Asking a new question is fine but, "bumping" a thread (posting just to bring it to the top of the list) within 24 hours is considered rude & impatient ;)

machinist@large

Reaction score
That sound's pretty good. I'm glad it was something simple to get it running, and since it wasn't smoking like a two stroke, I'm guessing that the internals are OK.....

Miky

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. Engine had a bad piston pin and I couldn't find the right one because the firm that build this engine isn't working in a long long time so I went to the machinist to make a piston pin. I'm worried it will brake, it's made from a car axle. Maybe piston pin from Predator 212 is the same or near size. Size from this one is 17mmx65mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.