Help with driver and belt?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartman2788

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I need to figure out how to connect the engine to the driven, I think I need a 20 series driver cause it's 7'' but I'm not sure. Any advice on how I would find out what size and where I should measure on my engine (Robin 9 or 11 hp) would be great! If you haven't figured out that I have never worked on this kind of project before I'm new to this.
 

Attachments

  • engine driver.jpg
    engine driver.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 19

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Messages
2,490
Reaction score
3
Location
Oliver springs,Tn
you sure thats a driven? but yes you would need the driver and belt to hook it up. it would need to be a 1in bore. and im guessing its actually a 30 series.20 series a not very common.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Measure the diameter of the motor's shaft. It's most likely 1", but not guaranteed B man. Take a look stir and if the two faces of the driven are the same slope, it's probably a 20 series. If one is nearly vertical and one sloped, it's probably a 30 series. You are missing the entire driver assembly. You'd belt will be determined by which series of TC you have. Also measure from the center of the jack shaft to the center of the motor shaft. This is your center distance (CD) and will help determine the correct belt. Lastly, it may be a more desirable 40 series (due to your motors HP output) in which case both faces of the TC would be the same slope and the gap at the top of the driven will be 7/8" wide whereas a 20 series is 3/4" wide. It's not a big difference, but it makes a world of difference. Also, welsome to karting and I hope we can help you out.
 

kartman2788

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Thanks redsox985 and bman for your help! I I took a more pics of the driven, it's a comet and has 20 on the back so I'm guessing it's a 20 series (I'm a genius I know!). I would rather not buy a new driven and driver for the kart. I know you mentioned bc of the high hp I'm using a 40 series would be best. But I'm kind of strapped for cash and I was wondering if it would be terrible if I didn't use it? Thanks!!!!
 

Attachments

  • 20 series .jpg
    20 series .jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20 series1.jpg
    20 series1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 6

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're not a genius. That 20 refers to the slopes of the outer cam. Measure from the inside of the driven faces, not the outside. It's most likely a 20 series, but being definite will make sure you get the right driver, the 20 driver being cheaper than the 40.

Since the 2 are only 1/8" apart, measure from 1" as the little end hook thing moves on tape measures.
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
Series 20 will work with a 7hp without issue. Also the clutch saying 20 does not relate to the fact that it is a series 20. I would like to point out that you can not have a series 30 driven clutch mounted inboard so that would be the first clue to anyone looking that it isn't 30 series. So at this point if your shaft is 1" you'll need to find a series 20 driver new or used. PM me if you have trouble with that.
 

kartman2788

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
So I just remeasured the right way : ) and it's 3/4" so I do indeed have a 20 series driven. I want to know if it will be able to handle the 10hp I'm gonna be using?
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Should just manage as you have it, they are rated for 8hp or something, but comet are known for under rating their stuff. Its either $100 for the 20 series driver (guessing you want a 1" one, do they make them?) or $330 for a 40 series.
Rob
 

kartman2788

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
So the carb was completely shot so I ended up buying a new used engine, a 8hp briggs and stratton industrial engine. I already have the 20 series driven on the kart but no driver. I think I need a 20 series symmetric driver. The only problem is that the engine I have has a threaded shaft and I've only been able to find keyed drivers....HELP! Any ideas of what can be done or bought?
 

Attachments

  • 8hp.jpg
    8hp.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8hpthread.jpg
    8hpthread.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 8hp#.jpg
    8hp#.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
You have some options:
Take that shaft to a machine shop and ask them to cut a keyway or
Buy a new shaft or
Attempt to cut a keyway with a dremel.
Rob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top