Help With Bigger Tires Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I got a new kart a few days ago and it's rough off roading it because it has I believe 11'' tires front and back with no suspension. It's essentially a yard kart. I tried a mock up and put a 14'' tire on the back and it looks good but an issue is the axle doesn't come through all the way. It goes to the edge but no room to thread the nut on. Also, it has a brand new clutch and brand new brakes and I would hate to have to buy new ones. Is there anyway I could get bigger tires with the same bolt pattern for the sprocket and brake or is that impossible? Sorry for any ignorance as usual! :roflol: Thanks!

Sorry I couldn't get any pics up I'm trying to get some up.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You might have a couple of options-

Is the rim diameter the same between old tire and new? Perhaps you could mount new tire on old rim.

Maybe you could cut down the new wheelhub to fit- I did this for a friend's lawn tractor. Bit of a PITA, but worked.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Well I figured out it slides enough when both tires are off to thread both wheels. No, the rims on my other tires are much bigger.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Here is a side by side:

OzFab

Reaction score
Being that the replacements are bigger, they may also be wider. First thing you need to work out is why they don't slide on all the way. What type of fitting are they; keyway, notch? Are they hitting the frame or bearing? It may be a simple matter of cutting down the hub

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Being that the replacements are bigger, they may also be wider. First thing you need to work out is why they don't slide on all the way. What type of fitting are they; keyway, notch? Are they hitting the frame or bearing? It may be a simple matter of cutting down the hub

Thanks, I got that all figured out and they do fit I may just have to cut down the hubs some. What my question now is: Will I have to replace the new clutch and brakes with the bigger tires since the bolt patterns are different. I believe I have to change the sprocket and chain, that's no big deal I just don't want to dish out close to $100 for a clutch and break.

EDIT: The reason I want to change the tires is because I get stuck off roading a lot and I loose traction at 40 mph and that's scary.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
haha sorry ToyStory I should have given you credit. Well here in the sandy part of Cali it isn't fun! My bent up old kart would agree! The sand likes to grab the kart and conveniently flip it and that's were you pray the roll cage holds up(if you have one). Also to note: this kart has no seatbelt :D

Status
Not open for further replies.