HELP...TOO much slack!!!! watch my vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
hey i have a very big problem that costed me a new sprocket. the gokart i stopped working on because of school well now i have free time and now im going back to the problem that i cant figure out.

when i go test drive the kart at the low end speed the chain of the kart just rattles the crap out of its self and makes a loud noise that is unbearable. the thing that is causing the problem is the chain tension. watch my video of how much slack there is. how can i tension up the chain? i was thinking of getting the extra angle i have and line it on the side of the sprocket and mount a chain tensioner. but you guys might tell me to cut a link out, no it wont work because there wont be enough chain to link it together. will this half link you guys have told me before work? i have no idea what a half link is to be honest. so can anyone help me out. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xNUgi-3NI&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• IMG_20120104_201233.jpg
    IMG_20120104_201233.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20120104_201322.jpg
    IMG_20120104_201322.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20120104_201432.jpg
    IMG_20120104_201432.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 13

wheels

Reaction score
i would try the 'half link' first... if that didn't work... i'd look into a chain tensioner. Some of the more experienced guys on here will probably be able to give better advice though.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at THIS website. It will tell you all about half links. I know the site is for bicycles, but it gives you some idea of what they are.

Here are a few pics as well. I have used them, and they work well.

Attachments

• 25-40-offset.jpg
    25-40-offset.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 31186210.jpg
    31186210.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0

TeamCheap

Reaction score
It looks like there isnt any lube on the chains but maybe thats just the way the pictures came out.

I cant clearly see the teeth on that small sprocket, are they all there ? and are they shaped correctly ?

Are you sure all the chains and sprocket are matched up correctly ?

Did you make this jackshaft setup or was it like that and is there anyway to adjust it to take up the slack ? like being able to move the jackshaft forward a little.

More pictures of how the jacksshaft is mounted as well as how the axle is mounted and the engine is mounted would be nice.

I've had chains that make unbearable noises when they are dry, rusted and really loud and crunchy when the sprocket teeth are worn/slightly bent and typically it sounds worse when just rolling it backwards because of the way the teeth are bent. they tend to hook the chain even more when rolled backwards.

fowler

Reaction score
u can make a decent idler out of a skate board wheel

u will have to install anougther bar to mount it from

pics of the sprocket would help to gauge conition

also if the chain is streched
take it off and lay it on the floor
garb both ends and push and pull them in seperate directions
if the chain grows and shrinks its ****ed

but that doesnt solve the issue completely
u will need a tensioner
as said above pics of the inside will help
surly there must be some movment

used2jeep

Reaction score
Is there any way to shim up one side of the engine about a washer or two in height? Just a little tilt might take the bulk of the slack out and it shouldn't hurt the engine at all.

Jake.B

Reaction score
When you first put it together was the tension ok? if it was then something has bent or moved causing the sprocket to shift, or your chain is stretched? I'm not as experienced as a lot of people on here but i have had my fair share. thats what sounds like is wrong. If the slack was always there just use a half link like everyone says i have used them before they work great.

porsche930dude

Reaction score
looks like the teeth on your small sprocket there are chewed to crap. thats not that much slack. thats not your problem anyway. It wouldnt make horrible sounds. Its that craped up sprocket. also when you check the alignment do it with the chains off. and if my suspicions are correct and you need to buy another sprocket now is a good time to change the gear ratio for more power

Status
Not open for further replies.