Help request anyone know anything about this kart? Just got it for my grandson and wondering if its worth rebuilding

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Almost anything is worth rebuilding in my opinion. It depends on how much work and money you are willing to put into it.

From the pictures it looks like a fairly easy rebuild, basically just needs an engine. (Harbor Freight sells Predator 212's for ~$100) and a clutch is 20-50. So I'd say go for it!

Medic1961

Reaction score
Almost anything is worth rebuilding in my opinion. It depends on how much work and money you are willing to put into it.

From the pictures it looks like a fairly easy rebuild, basically just needs an engine. (Harbor Freight sells Predator 212's for ~$100) and a clutch is 20-50. So I'd say go for it!
Any idea what its worth?

jamyers

Reaction score
Any idea what its worth?
That completely depends on where you're located and your local "market". Here in west Texas, Karts are currently rare, I'm seeing bare frames like that go for $200 or so...Covid drove up prices last year, I haven't seen anything for sale since Christmas. I tried selling a good-running flat kart (no suspension) for $600 before Christmas, but had no serious takers.

Heck, tires are $20-40 each, and there's easily $200 in steering, brakes, etc there. I'm with Dingocat - put a $100 Predator and a $50 clutch on there and have fun!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Thirding agreement on rebuilding, and it doesn't look like you need many things at all. Third agreement also on a clutch, your grandson doesn't need the additional danger of higher speed from a "torque converter" (CVT, aka Constant Variable Transmission).
The Harbor Freight engine is called a Predator 212cc, 6.5 hp., 4-stroke, overhead valve, air cooled, pullstart engine. There's many opinions on which of the 2 versions are best or make no difference, the hemi or non-hemi. These are easily identified by their valve covers with OHV on them, the shiny, flat, octagonal, stamped out non-hemi, or the duller, rectangular, domed on top cast aluminum hemi. Easier by the H.F. part # which I forget. Caution: If you have a preference, don't go by the picture on the box. Punch out the handhold on the side, reach in, and feel the valve cover. My hemis come in a box with a picture of a non-hemi on it. All agree that aftermarket parts do make a difference, hemi or not often must be specified.
They sell for $129.95 every day, but regularly go on sale for $99.95 with a tear-out coupon from a flier, or maybe coupon not needed. Warranty is only 30 or maybe 90 days, an extended warranty is $50.00 for a year. I did that knowing it would be way past OEM warranty before finishing kart and running motor. Wasted my money. Didn't think about it being basically impossible to get motor back to OEM condition for returning it if needed after modifying it to about 15+ hp., but might be a good idea for you.
Add a chain, looks like the standard #35 chain, a #35 master link to clip it together with, attach that throttle cable to it, set tire pressures, and it should be ready to go. See youtube for many how-to videos for hooking up a throttle, type '212 throttle' in the search bar. Speaking of...........
That throttle cable and the brake rod are both just laying there on the floor looking like your heels will be resting on both when driving. Really need to fix that, could be a serious safety issue.
--edit--
OOPS! Sorry about that, forgot to talk about your mounting and sprocket issue. Your motor mounting plate won't accept a Predator, the back of the seat is in the way, your motor would have to go further back, must cut out the plate, move it, and reweld it, or get another plate to weld in.
You also need to get another sprocket, install it on the axle on the LEFT side of the motor, or move your existing one over to the LEFT side of the motor. This is true of any engine with CCW rotation of shaft (looking at end of shaft).
I recommend mounting the motor with its output shaft as far back away from the axle sprocket as possible to get more chain teeth wrapped around and in contact with the small (likely 12-tooth) sprocket on your clutch. Don't forget your chain lube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Actual I believe putting the 212 on a gokart voids the warranty so just make sure everything works before installing it. I could be wrong though

Kart Flipper

Too poor for power tools
Reaction score
Also, be prepared on the old sprocket relocation. Those can be a bear to remove, so plan on things like axle bearings and a sprocket in your budget.

Kart Flipper

Too poor for power tools
Reaction score
I was referencing what an earlier post said about having to get the sprocket to the left side of the engine plate. It looks like an Azusa internal drum brake on the left and a conventional 1 piece 60 tooth on the right (so not sure about the differential?)

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
I was referencing what an earlier post said about having to get the sprocket to the left side of the engine plate. It looks like an Azusa internal drum brake on the left and a conventional 1 piece 60 tooth on the right (so not sure about the differential?)
My bad, looked earlier and thought I saw one, was just the sprocket's hub though.

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
Well worth rebuilding, just my opinion. If you bought the parts to build what you already have you would spend hundreds of dollars. You could probably research that kart and buy the components that it was set up with originally and not have to engineer moving things around. That can be daunting if you don't know much about kart building. Either way you go the members on this forum will guide you through a rebuild.

Keep in mind that your kart has no suspension. If your grandson is riding on rough ground he and the kart will probably take quite a beating. My grandson and I started with no suspension then upgraded to a used Colman with suspension for $800 then sold his first kart for $350. Seems like it has been worth every Penney.

Just some things to keep in mind. Any way you do it your grandson will be thrilled, Good luck.........

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I hope everyone notices the double-tube design of that frame. I've posted elsewhere about the great strength with only light weight of a truss design on a frame. 2 tubes parallel over/under each other, with short DIAGONAL pieces welded between them. A truss frame, NOT a ladder frame (straight pieces between tubes). That frame here has some plates welded between them, and that does exactly the same job as the diagonal struts of a truss frame. Cool to see that. Wouldn't hurt anything to splice in some diagonals or even just some more plates elsewhere around it.

gmo1515

Reaction score
I would check the bearings in the front hubs and rear axle as well. Might be worth your while to replace them especially if they have been in there a long time and the kart has been stored outdoors. They will likely be a common size that should be fairly easy to find. I think overall it looks like you got a fairly solid starting point. The fact that it still has the original paint and markings on it in that good of shape is a bonus too.

-Jason

Kaden02

Reaction score
Actual I believe putting the 212 on a gokart voids the warranty so just make sure everything works before installing it. I could be wrong though
I was told by my local harbor freight that I could mod the engine as blow it up, run it over with a truck, or thrown it in the pond running and get it back out and bring it to them and they would exchange it. I asked them if they were serious and they said yes no questions asked warranty.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
True about the Harbor Freight Predators, that they'll swap it out for a new one in the box from store stock, if receipt shows within warranty.
That's Harbor Freight doing that.
Predator manufacturer's warranty reads that damage from alteration or abuse voids warranty.
However, if you walked out of the store with another brand new one in your hands and with Harbor Freight's blessing, too bad, so sad, who cares if the mfr. gets mad.
Just don't return one with the governor parts missing, throttle plate missing, etc.
Always save all your swapped out parts to put back on it if it fails.