Help - Putting together T/C and Clutch - older Yerf Dog 3020

Status
Not open for further replies.

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I have a question or two and from what I can tell I've acquired one of the most common older go karts out there. I have a Yerf Do 3020 with the Tecumseh 5.5 power sport and what I believe is a Max Torque torque converter and clutch.
I was under the impression that this was an older Max Torque but some of my questions even stumped Jim Donovan Sr. at Max Torque. (which by the way is the nicest and most helpful owner/manufacturer I've run into)
I thought my T/C was a Max Torque 20 series due to the set up and the fact that it is identical to the one in this video on YouTube which I was told was a 20 series model )

I tore down and cleaned and bent back the two prongs on the weight packs within the clutch to where they are perfect again. Appearently the idiot that had it before didn't even have them together and just slapped the cover back on a sold it. I've used lithium white grease on the moving parts just as I was told and I was putting it all back together had a couple of questions because from what I have been told by numerous sources including Mr. Donovan it is a way different animal that any other kart;
Now i have 3 questions -

1. When I took apart the driven the cam (weight or outside part that says Max-Torque and has 3 holes (hi . Low) there was a stamp or number on the back that said 40. Does that make it a 40 series?

2.I was putting the outer weight/cam back on and about to lock the ring when I realized that I may need to wind the spring a bit. Do i wind it clockwise or counter-clockwise?

3. Is it possible to insert an inner-tube to the back tires/wheels without taking the wheels off? I figured I may need to take it all off, insert the tube and then add some slick stuff and work it back on.


Also, any other pointers would help tremendously, I have the right belt I believe but the new spring is black so it may be a Comet, but then again I was told it wouldn't matter that much.

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be sending a video this weekend flying across the year in old yellow #3.
 

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I have 3 questions which were cut off from the message;
1. I was under the impression that it was a Max Torque 20 series but the number on the back of the cam (outside weight with Hi-Low and the spring holes) it has 40 stamped on it.
2. Would using a black 20/30 comet spring work as well?
3. I used white lithium grease in the clutch and the Driven, I now need to know if I turn the cam and spring clock-wise or counter before snapping the snap ring on.

Anything helps thank folks in advance.
 
Messages
193
Reaction score
1
Location
barney, ga.
I dont know about a max torque t-c but on a comet the white grease is a no-no. clean real good and a dry film lube only.

I cant tell what is all bent from the video other than the fixed sheave. You need to remove the driven unit and clamp something to the frame real close to the jackshaft and spin the shaft to make sure it aint bent. I also dont know why the driven has no pre-load on it. Has it been apart? Has the buttons slipped past the cam? It should have 1\3 turn against rotation of pre-load. I like to repair things usually but I think in your case I would replace that driven unit. I have a feeling its shot.
 

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
OK, I totally confused everyone

That kart in the video is not mine, it is exactly like mine that is why I posted the video. I have the same kart, torque converter and set-up.

I was just hoping someone could identify the model by reviewing example in the video.

I pretty much have it figured out now though.

Thanks fellas for replying. This is by far the most competent and useful forum I've been a part of.

War **** Eagle!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top