Help please! new go karts belt broke don't know what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

kx100master

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
New jersey
Hi,
I just bought a go kart with a predator engine. There is some sort of centrifugal clutch set up hooked up to a belt. The little clutch thing has a piece that moves when u rev the engine. Well the belt is connected to another pulley type of thing but it doesn't look like a torque converter or a tav. The second pulley is connected to a chain which drives the wheels. The belt broke today and don't know why. I think maybe the front is a tav piece and the rear is not or something. Any help or ideas?
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
It's a jackshaft assembly with a belt clutch that drives a pulley. The pulley, in turn, drives the smaller sprocket connected to the wheel via a chain and bigger sprocket. Right?
With out pics, we really can't tell you why the belt broke other than maybe wear/age......
Post pics, and fill in your location. O yeah, :welcome2:
 

kx100master

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
New jersey
Ok I got pics but the belt doesn't look too old. Thanks for replying
 

Attachments

  • 1412031207091.jpg
    1412031207091.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1412031241493.jpg
    1412031241493.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 1412031265122.jpg
    1412031265122.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 17

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
well that's a Torque converter Driver and a fixed pulley on the jackshaft...

that can't work too well, since even if it is a series 20 driver you have the width and angles will either match the driver or the pulley.. not both.

'sid
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Of course it did, the belt matches the pulley & not the driver, the driver is trying to close but the pulley won't let it, the weakest link is the belt...

What I suggest you do is replace the fixed pulley with a proper driven clutch & use the correct belt...
 

kx100master

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
New jersey
But isn't the piece like a cvt since it comes out. I thought those were supposed to be good. Could I just change the second part the pulley with like a tav piece
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
601
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
But isn't the piece like a cvt since it comes out. I thought those were supposed to be good. Could I just change the second part the pulley with like a tav piece

You need the driver and the driven to both be proper TC parts. As long as the 2 are meant to work together, you are fine. You cannot just use any old driven, you need one compatible with your driver
 

java230

New member
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle WA
You need a driven pulley that will fit your axle, and a belt to match it and the driver.

So if that pulley fits your axle, yes that what your going for. But it needs to match the drive pulley.
 

kx100master

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
New jersey
You need a driven pulley that will fit your axle, and a belt to match it and the driver.

So if that pulley fits your axle, yes that what your going for. But it needs to match the drive pulley.


How do I know what my driver is. Can't I just use any pulley thay fits and it would be fine
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
by what I can see of the driver I'd say it's either a series 20 comet or a maxtorque

i.e. symmetrical belt but that is just a guess...

'sid
 

kx100master

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
New jersey
by what I can see of the driver I'd say it's either a series 20 comet or a maxtorque

i.e. symmetrical belt but that is just a guess...

'sid

Can someone help me figure out what converter it is I really need to know some people say 20 series and some 30
 

kx100master

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
New jersey
help pls torque converter keeps breaking belts need some help

Hi, I have a 212cc go kart with the harbor freght motor. The go kart Is a carter bros with a belt to Jackshaft set up. The driver is a torque converter part but the driven is not, it's just a pulley no springs or anything. I think I need a matching driven but don't know what my driver is. The belts I put on it keep breaking. Maybe I could get a whole torque converter setup but I don't know what I would do with the Jackshaft thing. Also I would like to keep my driver. Thanks in advance
 

Attachments

  • 1412031207091.jpg
    1412031207091.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1412031241493.jpg
    1412031241493.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 12

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Looks to be a 20 series. Take the driver off/apart n post pics. Maybe all that's needed is maintainance or a part. Pics of the driven too... tabs/inner spring pulley belt riden part. N an alignment shot to see if things line up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top