Help new go kart user!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftball23

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I just bought this kart for my son and I need your opinions.

I got it for $50 and it needs a new air filter box for the motor as it is broken, i don't know what kind of kart it is but the motor is a jf 200 6.5 hp motor. I want to cut the steering column down so the angle is easier for my son, I also want to put a smaller steering wheel on it, also the brake and gas are like bicycle brake levers attached to the steering wheel I think I would like to move these to pedals on the floor. I have decent metal working and welding skills so any ideas or opinions would be great Thanks
 

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
2
Location
Perth, Western Australia
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you've get everything planned out pretty well, I don't see any issues with what you are doing. You could make your own air filter adapter if your old one is too broken to use.

On this forum we refer to your engine as a clone. They are a clone of the Honda GX200 engine.

Thanks

Hayden
 

ftball23

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
here is a pic of the broken air filter. Ho could i make my own? also here is a pic of the tires, he said that they were dolly tires how do I remove the tire, there are 3 screws on the inside and one big one in the middle.
The engine starts but dies right away, he said the carb just needs cleaned, does this sound right? Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions
 

Attachments

  • airfilter.jpg
    airfilter.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 14
  • tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
That's a modified "Chinese get away vehicle". *Inside joke* You can actually pick up an aftermarket filter that bolts on and will give better performance.
 

ftball23

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
great thanks for the info, what is a good site to look for it on? also should I just get more rubber dolly tires for it or should i get other ones? Im looking for a good place to get a different steering wheel as well. thanks again
 

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
2
Location
Perth, Western Australia
here is a pic of the broken air filter. Ho could i make my own? also here is a pic of the tires, he said that they were dolly tires how do I remove the tire, there are 3 screws on the inside and one big one in the middle.
The engine starts but dies right away, he said the carb just needs cleaned, does this sound right? Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions

Later today I'l post a guide on how I make my own ones if you want, or you could just buy one. To remove to tire you will have to remove the big nut in the middle, then the wheel will slide off the spindle, it may require a bit of force. It appears to be a 2 piece rim so if you then undo the 3 bolts the wheel should split in half. If it's a 1 piece rim then you will have to take the tire off in the same way would if you were taking a bicycle tire off.

Yes, you should clean the carby, try different choke and throttle settings to see if you can make it run for longer.

A week or 2 ago there was a thread with a kart just like yours in it, except it was yellow and sliver. From memory blaz knew about it, have a look few a few threads and see if you can find it.

Thanks

Hayden
 

robbie

New member
Messages
857
Reaction score
8
Location
Osceola, Missouri
To remove to tire you will have to remove the big nut in the middle, then the wheel will slide off the spindle, it may require a bit of force. It appears to be a 2 piece rim so if you then undo the 3 bolts the wheel should split in half.


If you are going to take the bolts out of a two piece wheel, make sure there is no air in the tire first. If you take the bolts out of a wheel with an inflated tire, it will shoot hardware and wheel parts at you.
 

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
2
Location
Perth, Western Australia
If you are going to take the bolts out of a two piece wheel, make sure there is no air in the tire first. If you take the bolts out of a wheel with an inflated tire, it will shoot hardware and wheel parts at you.

Yes! I forgot to mention that sorry, been there, done that, broke the rim... :oops:

Thanks

Hayden
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
To lower the steering shaft it would be easy to fab a steering joint into the shaft. This way you are not moving your pitman arm or any of the steering stuff. You could lower the wheel. Even make it adjustable.

Your shaft will not be splined after you cut it. You could weld them in or use roll pins or bolts. which ever seems safer? Or both.

With your little guy you may consider a remote kill switch and a throttle stop. The larger the wheel the more leverage he will have. If you thibk the original wheel is to big can you hack it down and make it smaller perhaps? MAybe cut the wing extension parts out and reweld closer to the hub. This way you do not have to mess with mounting a new wheel.

Also I have a few of these clone filter boxes laying around. (I think) I will ship it to you if you pay pal me the shipping fees.

 

ftball23

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
"Your shaft will not be splined after you cut it. You could weld them in or use roll pins or bolts. which ever seems safer? Or both."

What do you mean by splined? I understood everything else you were saying. And is it hard to change the wheel?
 

bajagokart

New member
Messages
779
Reaction score
0
Location
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
"Your shaft will not be splined after you cut it. You could weld them in or use roll pins or bolts. which ever seems safer? Or both."

What do you mean by splined? I understood everything else you were saying. And is it hard to change the wheel?

spline is the groves you see in that picture of the u joints. thats the female end and on the male end the spline are etched of the steering rod. usually they are all 36 spline
 

ftball23

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
oh i see...thanks again for all of the info. It shouldn't be a problem because I will be welding everything
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top