Help me mod a clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I am buying a 6.5 clone and putting it in my doodlebug. I am going to remove the governor, and a rod, stiffer springs, header, airfilter, jet, flat top piston and a cam. Those are the first sets of mods to be done. After i will add a billet flywheel, better carb, better head and more.

My questions

What cam should i put in the engine for good low RPM power? I want torque off the line without sacrificing decent top end.

What do different ratio rocker arms do and what one are best with the cam you suggest?

What cylinder head is best for higher compression? Will i have to buy new valves for it?

What jet would you suggest?

02mx-5

Reaction score
I dont have that much money upfront. A clone with some nice mods will cost me 220. Plus a $60 rod, $50-100 cam. Thats about 350. The rest of the parts are things that will be put on over time. I just dont have the money to buy an animal upfront. I plan on getting package one from NR Racing.

SOoo because im using a clone no matter what may be better, can anyone help with all of my questions?

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
but if you wanna build a clone.....
to support 7k rpm rod $60 flywheel $100 good cam $100 carb with intake& filter $100
springs $10 Valve train $60 Rockers $40-50

ratio rockers add lift/duration to the cams specs.
14cc gx160 head shaved.. and ported
or a 18cc gx160 head shaved
I wouldnt go over 11.5:1 compression with gas

with a high flow filter/header high compression prolly .036-.037" jet
tq cam i would look at NR Racings 252-0207 or 252-0211 series thats .252 lift and some 1.2:1 ratio rockers with 26lb springs then you need or they reccomend stainless valves.

I have been doin ALOT of reading hahahahaha

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
you were replyin while I was typin too..

Russ @ NR will install the cam at the time of purchase of package 1

Thats what I would get the racers package 1 with a cam installed
add 18lb springs that way you dont kill the motor until you get rod

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
if you can fab a motorcycle engine up to work. thats great

if you want a bolt on safe motor.. stick with GOCART motors

a sled engine and or a motorcycle engine. for MOST is NOT economical NOR easy to fab up..

also a sled engine for a 6-10 year old = ER visit

NJOHC

Reaction score
The 50$ cam from AGK is good for Tq but I dont know how high it revs until the power starts fading out. And I would also get a rod and flywheel first.

92burbansmilk!!!

1992suburbans faster bro!
Reaction score
OH also if you can put a sled engine on a doodle bug YOU A BAD SUMMABICH

I am willing to take that challenge, nothing some flat stock a welder and grinder cant handle LOL

I personally would start with just yankin a governor out of one and play with that, once you get tired of that then do cam and springs then once tired of that go better head and carb then after that methanol and it goes on and on and on

Status
Not open for further replies.