Help identify this electrical component

Gasteffens

Reaction score
So I’m planning to not use the stock key box; I made my own that will kill everything and the lights when it’s turned off. Since I want to sell this eventually I needed to examine it to make sure I don’t miss something on my setup and also didn’t want to cut it more than to inspect the wiring.

Look at the brown wire which switches through a component to a red wire. This engine has a 3 amp stator under the flywheel which is where the brown wire goes. Is it safe to say this piece in the middle is a diode? If so, is there one and a supplier this group would recommend?

I’m pretty familiar with electronics from my automotive days but if there is something I can learn here without trying to reinvent the wheel, I’ll start here.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: could something like this work?

Attachments

• 62653DB5-8734-4B2F-BFDE-5859555D2789.jpeg
    62653DB5-8734-4B2F-BFDE-5859555D2789.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 0946B548-3AFB-4ADC-89CF-54CCCF80AFA6.jpeg
    0946B548-3AFB-4ADC-89CF-54CCCF80AFA6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
it is the diode, true

type? IDK
judging by size my guess would be an NTE 5812HC
Some sort of rectifying diode of course.. in the 10A range usually so yeah

easiest would be to cut the shrink tube and take a look..
just wrap it with a fresh shrink tube afterwars and it's as nothing ever happened ;)

'sid

Gasteffens

Reaction score
it is the diode, true

type? IDK
judging by size my guess would be an NTE 5812HC
Some sort of rectifying diode of course.. in the 10A range usually so yeah

easiest would be to cut the shrink tube and take a look..
just wrap it with a fresh shrink tube afterwars and it's as nothing ever happened ;)

'sid
Will do that and see if it has any legible labels on it, ha! Thank you!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
6A10 I wonder why one would need a 1000V reverse voltage protection in a system like that..
but alright.

Actually I'm fairly amazed it's just a 6A diode tbh,
I was expecting them all to be the exact same diode no matter what coilpack you have
(one 3A, two 3A or the 8A...)
Ah well
anyhow.. now you know what you got and you can easily replace it with the exact same part ;)

'sid

Gasteffens

Reaction score
6A10 I wonder why one would need a 1000V reverse voltage protection in a system like that..
but alright.

Actually I'm fairly amazed it's just a 6A diode tbh,
I was expecting them all to be the exact same diode no matter what coilpack you have
(one 3A, two 3A or the 8A...)
Ah well
anyhow.. now you know what you got and you can easily replace it with the exact same part ;)

'sid
Thanks! Posted here because I didn’t know if a “plug and play “ of sorts part existed. I’ve got plenty of crimps, heat shrink, etc on hand and I will get this all set. Will post pics on my other thread when I get there.

take care 👍