HELP ! Go-Kart CHAIN/CLUTCH Problem

johnnyj04

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the kart scene. Bought this used a few days ago with a 301cc predator and a burnt out clutch. Replaced the clutch but getting a TON of heat and smoke sometimes. I moved the clutch to a good position so the chain stopped hopping off for a bit but in the end after about 2 minutes or a couple pulls the chain will just pop off, not sure if it's because i need more chain tension bc i noticed it slacks and moves around too much on the bottom side. Not sure if its a crooked or worn axle sprocket, alignment possibly but i left some float room for the clutch as the max torque clutch advised me. Again, new to this but trying to do a lot of research on my own. What do y'all recommend I do I want to start ripping this thing because she rips ***! The chain just keeps giving me problems even though it doesn't seem to be too worn.

Attachments

• 925F8A8B-ED52-440D-B2FE-E46A1375568C.jpeg
    925F8A8B-ED52-440D-B2FE-E46A1375568C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 6993D1E3-0E51-4354-B65C-B370ABE43A22.jpeg
    6993D1E3-0E51-4354-B65C-B370ABE43A22.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • CDFFED9A-A98D-4313-B114-C82511CC9510.jpeg
    CDFFED9A-A98D-4313-B114-C82511CC9510.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 582EB916-4AF8-400B-8B3B-40A2121AEF97.jpeg
    582EB916-4AF8-400B-8B3B-40A2121AEF97.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Oh so many things I could see causing problems. From the long poorly supported engine mount. Clutch on backwards, does the chain series match the sprocket?
The first thing I would do is flip the clutch around and stop it from floating and see if that helps. But it sounds like you need a CVT system on there if you are burning up clutches. They are made to be rum at wide open all the time.

johnnyj04

Reaction score
Oh so many things I could see causing problems. From the long poorly supported engine mount. Clutch on backwards, does the chain series match the sprocket?
The first thing I would do is flip the clutch around and stop it from floating and see if that helps. But it sounds like you need a CVT system on there if you are burning up clutches. They are made to be rum at wide open all the time.
Don't worry I see just as many problems maybe even more than you, just trying to learn and figure out what i need to do to get this thing ripping.
Just ordered a new engine mount designed for the 301predator, clutch has to be inboard for it to line up with axle sprocket, unless theres another way? Also the clutch does not float its got the setscrews in there and its a damn pain in the *** getting it on/off. This is the first clutch ive put on and it wasn't engaging when i first put it on and just started smoking up so might be damaged ill have to order another, any advice on which one ? I'd like to keep using clutches although they aren't as reliable they give you a lot more torque and acceleration off the line, which i prefer over top speed. Also, my axle sprocket has only about 40 teeth I didn't count accurately but i'm pretty sure ill need a bigger one to meet the recommended 1:6 ratio so i'm thinking a 60 tooth, looks like my axle sprocket is welded on there too so that sure is gonna be a fun time for me... LOL edit: its a 40 chain (had to find out) and i have no clue if that's right for the sprocket or not // 10t clutch and estimated guess around a 40-48tooth axle sprocket edit again: researching torque converters it actually looks like it barely makes a difference in torque and the torque converter will be a hell of a lot more reliable, will a 30 series do fine or is a 40 series a must ??

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
The back end of that kart has been butchered badly. It's going to take some fabrication and welding but I would try to get the engine lowered down and behind the seat. If the sprocket is welded to the axle then you need both.
Hope you didn't pay too much for that. I think I would be afraid of the chain when it starts coming off in its current location.

johnnyj04

Reaction score
The back end of that kart has been butchered badly. It's going to take some fabrication and welding but I would try to get the engine lowered down and behind the seat. If the sprocket is welded to the axle then you need both.
Hope you didn't pay too much for that. I think I would be afraid of the chain when it starts coming off in its current location.
butchered how so ? and if i did move the engine to the back how could i possibly line up the clutch/TAV to the axle sprocket ?I’ve already ordered a new mounting plate designed for the 301 so i planned on lowering it and making it way more supported. I paid 800 for it btw

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You paid way too much by about $4-500.00. The axle sprocket is way too small that’s why you are burning up clutches. The current engine mount is way too flimsy for the hunk of beef hanging off it. Lengthen the frame and move it behind the seat.
You obviously do not know anything about how a CVT system works. A CVT will actually apply more torque to the wheels when taking off. And an over drive at speed. Think of it as a automatic transmission for your Gokart. Go to the Gokart Supply website on the World Wide Web and research all kind of things.

garth66

Reaction score
That looks similar to several karts...
EKS Falcon
Coyote
Chinese Tongabao
And I'm sure there are others...

Anyway, I would NOT want that clutch and chain spinning right next to my head!

EKS Falcon
https://www.ekskart.com/en/eks-kart-chassis/4/falcon.html
1661801741387.png 1661801849341.png
Engine mounts available from EKS parts...

Coyote vintage racing chassis
1661802063225.png
Frame clamp motor mount: https://coyotekarts.com/product-category/motor-mounts/

Chinese Tongabao Kart
1661802212318.png 1661802233009.png
Parts: https://www.tongbaokarting.com/go-kart-parts/
Engine mount: https://www.tongbaokarting.com/go-kart-engine-mount-product/

Send pics of your progress!

johnnyj04

Reaction score
You paid way too much by about $4-500.00. The axle sprocket is way too small that’s why you are burning up clutches. The current engine mount is way too flimsy for the hunk of beef hanging off it. Lengthen the frame and move it behind the seat.
You obviously do not know anything about how a CVT system works. A CVT will actually apply more torque to the wheels when taking off. And an over drive at speed. Think of it as a automatic transmission for your Gokart. Go to the Gokart Supply website on the World Wide Web and research all kind of things.
Got it, was NOT trying to discredit you just trying to get an understanding. Learned alot about the CVT system and that’s what ill be going with (40 series) . What would you recommend for size of new sprocket and hub ? i will have to literally cut into the axel completely to take old sprocket out as it’s welded on both sides, unless i weld the same size axel pipe i might as well just have to buy a new axel right ? Working on disassembling everything but sound the seat definitely sounds safer and better.

johnnyj04

Reaction score
That looks similar to several karts...
EKS Falcon
Coyote
Chinese Tongabao
And I'm sure there are others...

Anyway, I would NOT want that clutch and chain spinning right next to my head!

EKS Falcon
https://www.ekskart.com/en/eks-kart-chassis/4/falcon.html
View attachment 134179 View attachment 134180
Engine mounts available from EKS parts...

Coyote vintage racing chassis
View attachment 134181
Frame clamp motor mount: https://coyotekarts.com/product-category/motor-mounts/

Chinese Tongabao Kart
View attachment 134182 View attachment 134183
Parts: https://www.tongbaokarting.com/go-kart-parts/
Engine mount: https://www.tongbaokarting.com/go-kart-engine-mount-product/

Send pics of your progress!
80% sure its a 2013 CRG go kart frame if you could possibly provide a link for that please, i will update u with pics of progress !!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you keep that size tire you could go as big as a 54. The problem you have right now is your axle. To change sprockets you will need to replace the axle which will mean, axle, wheel hubs, bearings and cassettes, brake disc and sprocket and hub. If I had to buy all that I would just switch to a 1” solid axle. It would be cheaper.

johnnyj04

Reaction score
If you keep that size tire you could go as big as a 54. The problem you have right now is your axle. To change sprockets you will need to replace the axle which will mean, axle, wheel hubs, bearings and cassettes, brake disc and sprocket and hub. If I had to buy all that I would just switch to a 1” solid axle. It would be cheaper.
11 inch tires can only run a a 54, not even a 60t? Got it thanks for naming all those out, where do you recommend a buy an axle and hubs/bearings for wheels/sprocket