Help getting wheel thread fixed?

dsepo

Reaction score
Got the kids a new Trailmaster Blazer 200 (similar to Trailmaster mid). It appears out of the box the passenger wheel spindle thread is damaged and can't take the nut on it. Is there a way to repair this myself? I.e. re-thread? I'm waiting on the manufacturer, but hoping there is an easy fix to get the xmas present on the road.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
DArron

wheel.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
Got the kids a new Trailmaster Blazer 200 (similar to Trailmaster mid). It appears out of the box the passenger wheel spindle thread is damaged and can't take the nut on it. Is there a way to repair this myself? I.e. re-thread? I'm waiting on the manufacturer, but hoping there is an easy fix to get the xmas present on the road.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
DArron

View attachment 144415
You could try chasing the threads with a tap after checking the size/pitch which I'd guesstimate to be something along the lines of 5/8-18 or M14×2.0 since it's clearly shouldered.

It honestly looks like an assembly error in which the nut was crossthreaded and forced on so I'd check the threads in that castle nut there as well... if it's threads are any degree of laid flat it was definitely cross threaded and you'll need to replace it as well.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Get rid of the nut, and get a new one. Buy a Die of the correct size and rethread the spindle. Ya can get thread gauges (SAE and metricated) purdy cheap. Dies not so much.
I got a big ole Metric tap AND die set (because most of what I work on uses metrics) for Christmas... I happen to know it wasn't disgustingly expensive, but not particularly cheap either

dsepo

Reaction score
Not an installation error from.my account. I didn't mention in the thread that the wheel wouldn't even go onto the spindle all the way. There is some friction preventing it from going all the way on maybe it's bent or diameter.of spindle off because of a burr or manufacturing issue...so I never even tried to thread it on until I pulled the wheel and inspected

At this point I'm hoping to try and recover as the kids are excited for their xmas.present. I did reach out to company I bought it from tp see what they suggest
Maybe the die will work otherwise not sure how to resolve
Get rid of the nut, and get a new one. Buy a Die of the correct size and rethread the spindle. Ya can get thread gauges (SAE and metricated) purdy cheap. Dies not so much.

Thx. I've never used a die before so wondering if you have any tips? Would I attempt to use rhe same size die to match the existing thread size? How do I ensure I don't create a second thread that doesn't line up with the thread that is there still on some of the bolt? Thx fornthe help.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Get the right size! biggest tip right there. If you have a decent hardware store in town take the nut there and maybe they can help ya determine the size. then confirm it is the same as the spindle. It may be a wrong thread that caused the problem. Then buy the dye.
A (retreading) die will be tapered (inside). Start it with the big end on the spindle. DO NOT FORCE IT. make sure it is straight and it will self start.
(well you still have to turn it, it won't turn itself) Sorry I can't help being a smart a$$. Nothing derogatory inteneded.
Once you're convinced everything is correct get a wrench and start turning. While yer turning have someone get online and order another spindle.
(Dammm, there I go again)
Use a little oil. Cutting oil is great, but I'm guessing this is a one time thing, so use any oil. (motor oil or the like, not cooking oil) Turn the dye reverse every revolution or two to clear the chips from the process. Candles, incense, chanting and prayer are always helpful.

dsepo

Reaction score
Get the right size! biggest tip right there. If you have a decent hardware store in town take the nut there and maybe they can help ya determine the size. then confirm it is the same as the spindle. It may be a wrong thread that caused the problem. Then buy the dye.
A (retreading) die will be tapered (inside). Start it with the big end on the spindle. DO NOT FORCE IT. make sure it is straight and it will self start.
(well you still have to turn it, it won't turn itself) Sorry I can't help being a smart a$$. Nothing derogatory inteneded.
Once you're convinced everything is correct get a wrench and start turning. While yer turning have someone get online and order another spindle.
(Dammm, there I go again)
Use a little oil. Cutting oil is great, but I'm guessing this is a one time thing, so use any oil. (motor oil or the like, not cooking oil) Turn the dye reverse every revolution or two to clear the chips from the process. Candles, incense, chanting and prayer are always helpful.
Thx for tips. I know the existing nuts are M12 x 1.25. I think they are screwed so I've ordered some new castle nuts. The new castle nuts don't list their thread size, so will determine that when they arrive. In the event that new nuts use a coarser thread (1.5 or 1.75) would it be ok (or I'll advised) to rethread the spindle with the matching coarser thread die? Or best to stay exactly the same as original? About half the bolt still has good threads so I'm thinking I need to stick with the same thread size. But appreciate any thoughts.

Rat

Reaction score
Thx for tips. I know the existing nuts are M12 x 1.25. I think they are screwed so I've ordered some new castle nuts. The new castle nuts don't list their thread size, so will determine that when they arrive. In the event that new nuts use a coarser thread (1.5 or 1.75) would it be ok (or I'll advised) to rethread the spindle with the matching coarser thread die? Or best to stay exactly the same as original? About half the bolt still has good threads so I'm thinking I need to stick with the same thread size. But appreciate any thoughts.
The only way to change thread is to go smaller, ie Damaged M10 recut to 3/8"

panchothedog

Reaction score
WOW, you just won the spelling bee. Would you like a Gold Star or a nice polished red apple. Either way you are going to have a very hard time repairing the male threads on a axle with a tap.

dsepo

Reaction score
Ok..update. was successfully able to re thread spindles with the Tao.

Now, the passenger tire won't go all the way onto the spindle. There is a gap where it gets stuck and hence can't get the nut on far enough to secure.

Tried tapping it on further...but I'm stuck, won't go further and won't come off.

Any suggestions on how to remove the wheel?

Ohh boy this is a tough Xmas present.

Attachments

• 20240103_140753.jpg
    20240103_140753.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240103_140757.jpg
    20240103_140757.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240103_140805.jpg
    20240103_140805.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5