Hello from Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMINDY

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased two go karts for my two oldest sons, who are 10 & 12, plus we just had twin boys this last May. So these karts will get plenty of use for years to come!:rolleyes:

I grew up in a Hot Rod family. I currently have my own backyard shop where I build my cars, have a 55 Chevy and currently building a 1947 Cadillac. This is my first time messing with go karts, but I have the equipment & skills to work on such...

As for the karts I purchased... bought both karts for $400 total. Just by looking at other photos, I believe both are Manco karts. No idea how old they are but both look like they are from the same manufacture. First one is a 2 seater, has a 5 or 6 HP Tecumah engine. It runs and drives well, although a little slow for us Hotrodder types! Just needs a little maintenance.

The second kart is a 1 seater. It also has a Tecumah engine. Was told it just need a new clutch... but a quick inspection shows it needs much more than that.

So the plan... First, the 55 Chevy mention above was my first car, at the age of 9! It is what my father taught me with on how to work on cars. My oldest boys are already been helping dad turn wrenches out in the garage... but these are their karts and they will be doing the work on these (with a little help from dad).

We'll start with the 2 seater. Learn how to do some maintenance and get it running and driving good. They can learn and get the feel of driving a go kart at the slower speeds.

Meantime the 1 seater will be getting a complete rebuild... new paint, new engine, some performance upgrades, and some metal fabrication (both safety and appearance). For a theme, we have decided to go with a midge sprint car feel...add some body panels, some nerf bars & push bar, and give it a racing/number paint scheme. After we finish this kart we'll start on the 2 seater.

We've laid out a plan... made out a budget... Probably start a build thread soon.

This is a great site! Learn a lot and got a lots of parts resources in the short time I've been lurking in the shadows!

Thanks, JMINDY

WE'LL POST SOME IMAGES OF THE KARTS AFTER THIS WEEKEND!

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:welcome2:
You got go karts for the perfect reason...... You're a cool dad, and are making memories that will last longer than you or I.... You're laying down the foundation for the next generation, and the ones to come. As did your father, and your fathers father. You're raising em right..... :thumbsup:

BenWysong09

Reaction score
What part of Indiana are you from? Im from Richmond area. Love the race car idea and I wish I had a father like you lol

JMINDY

Reaction score
Manage to rearrange the garage this weekend to make room for the karts, here are some pics...

Kart 1 (above): I believe is a Manco Dingo??? There is no markings on this cart as far as model name. It is the same size, wheel base wise, as the other kart. Anyone know how to tell how old these karts are? Manco is now American Sportsworks, but I didn't find when they change names, so I'm not even sure when Manco was manufacturing karts.

Kart 2 (below): Is a Manco American Express. This is the kart we'll rebuild first. Engine runs but has enough issues that I'm not going to mess with it... someone welded the now broken clutch to the engine shaft, plus its missing other items.

Also scraped out this little mower this weekend. There are a few parts I may be able to use.

We'll start a build thread in the project section when we get started soon.

JMINDY

JMINDY

Reaction score
:welcome2:
You got go karts for the perfect reason...... You're a cool dad
Thanks, Jim I see you have your hands full also, karts and kids!

What part of Indiana are you from? Im from Richmond area. Love the race car idea and I wish I had a father like you lol
We are on the west side of Indy. My in laws are right next to you in Eaton, OH at Lake Lakengren. The karts were bought west of Rushville just south of you.

What difference does it make??? The whole state sucks!!! Just kidding.....
LOL Doug, some of your old posts still crack me up... like why sand your kart in your kitchen, cause the living room has carpet! I'd never get away with that... Rock On!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
LOL Doug, some of your old posts still crack me up... like why sand your kart in your kitchen, cause the living room has carpet! I'd never get away with that... Rock On!

SOME of them???????.:lolgoku:

Thanks- I see you've been browsing around a bit. .......You'll like it here and here's to a long friendship amongst good people. .....:cheers2:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:iagree: I sooooo regret selling all my dingo's and amex's..... I was "collecting" them for a while,like GranPann. I fixed and sold a few then lunacy took over and I quit "doing" the kart thing. I started selling kart frames in lots of 5 or more for $100-200.... I sold 4 dingo's and an AmEx ,all rolling chassis', for $350...... You can slap me now..... I sold all my karts (dozens and dozens and dozens ) in less than 2 months for basically pennies on the dollar.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
:iagree: I sooooo regret selling all my dingo's and amex's..... I was "collecting" them for a while,like GranPann. I fixed and sold a few then lunacy took over and I quit "doing" the kart thing. I started selling kart frames in lots of 5 or more for $100-200.... I sold 4 dingo's and an AmEx ,all rolling chassis', for $350...... You can slap me now..... I sold all my karts (dozens and dozens and dozens ) in less than 2 months for basically pennies on the dollar.

Consider yourself slapped....

OzFab

Reaction score
Those AmEx karts for me are the best looking yard karts around

:iagree: ...in case you didn't already know :lolgoku:

However, this is the first one I've seen with the roll cage intact, makes it look completely different...

:toetap05: well, we all have our moments of madness but, :SLAP:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score

Yeah.....I knew it. ....frankly....I'm surprised it took so long before she MADE you do it......:lolgoku::rolleyes::stir::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.