hello from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littleyan92

Reaction score
hello i wanted to build a mini chopper. im 16 years old. i have a 6 or so hp briggs engine (out of a 1997ish coleman powermate vantage 3500) and am hoping to put it on a costom frame. the only conern i have is the clutch, rear gears, brakes, and throttle attatchments and what not. basically i can make it and install the engine and wheels. does anyone have any suggestions for this or maybe diagrams to help me with these smaller yet most important details.

thanks
mark

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
hey mark, are you making your own chasis? what would you like it to do? alot of the controls are straight forward, what is it that you are looking for?

Littleyan92

Reaction score
mike
i plan on making my own chassis. I like putting things together and making random stuff, but i feel making a mini chopper will be really cool project to work on over the summer. i think i am going to plan out the chassis myself to fit the engine but i am unsure how to hook up the engine to the rear wheel. im a novice. i need a clutch, chain, sprocket... what else do i need?

the only car related things ive worked on are my remote control car [which are so cool]. as far a the brakes go, i think im alright with that. and the throttle connection may stump me later, but im not worries about that now.

the chopper would probally be only onroad [if any off road itll be on grass]

thanks
mark

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
have you decided on an engine yet? on the engine depending how fast you want to go will dictate your gearing. make sure you get your sprockets with the same size chain #35 or 40-41. length of chain will be dictated by where the motor is in relation to your rear wheel. you will need a throttle assembly whether twist or thumb is up to you. are you going with mechanical (drum, band, paddle) or hydraulic brakes? a chain auto-tensioner is a good idea even for short runs of chain. chainguard and some pegs for your feet.

Littleyan92

Reaction score
ill probally use an b+s 6hp engine (its comming off off of a 3500generator).

do i need to position my engine depending on the length of the chain?

Littleyan92

Reaction score
what do you exactly mean by tapered shaft?? will the engine not work in the chopper. how much is the part needed??

Littleyan92

Reaction score
alright... i see. ill try to take the engine off of the generator today. will post up later.

why do i need to have the straight shaft?? how does the clutch go on? is there a online site to explain this?

Littleyan92

Reaction score
ive been looking at the front and back tires of mini bikes/choppers and i was wondering how they attach to the frame??

Carlman

Reaction score
I have used a tapered shaft 6.5 honda before and a clutch. The shaft protruted halfway into the clutch so i welded a m10 bolt on the end of the crank and used a nut and a large washer to hold it on.

Carlman

Reaction score
Im sure that on a kart forum, one would rather a 'kart' or something motorised over a generator, no?

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
If the generator operates, then the answer is emphatically no.
To tear apart a perfectly good generator to power a gokart makes no sense, especially when it's known that pto "as is" is incorrect for a gokart.
To purchase a new equivalent generator to the 3500 is about $450-$500 (or better).
Once the engine is removed, generator is worthless junk.
Be better off selling it complete (and running) and put buck$ toward a new (and possibly larger) engine.
My 2¢.

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
I recently got a 5hp Briggs for $41 shipped.
Advertised as having no spark. Right up my alley.
Also, recoil did not operate.
Engine was running 15 minutes after the UPS driver left it on my doorstep.
Reasonably priced horizontal shaft engines are out there. You just have to know what to look for.

Raywelder

Not an Adm¡nistrator
Reaction score
I recently got a 5hp Briggs for $41 shipped.
Advertised as having no spark. Right up my alley.
Also, recoil did not operate.
Engine was running 15 minutes after the UPS driver left it on my doorstep.
Reasonably priced horizontal shaft engines are out there. You just have to know what to look for.

Nice find!

Status
Not open for further replies.