Allen
New member
hi everyone. Found this site and forum and it looks like a great place indeed for the go cart DIYer. When we moved into our new house a few years ago, there was an old go cart in the garden shed. My son, who is 7 now, want to drive it and it seems like a great father/son project. The tires are somewhat rotten, the frame is a bit rusty, and who knows how many years it's been since the engine was started!
I'm mechanically inclined, but have never messed with carts. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I'll take a picture of the cart in the day time and post it on my thread here. So far, my son and I have take the four wheels off. The drive wheel was the most difficult (and the area I'll have my first set of questions). It's a fixed axle type cart. Basically the drive wheel turned fine on the bearings, but the sleeve was rusted onto the axle. It took a bit more percussive maintenance that I thought to get it off. It's got a 12 tooth engine sprocket and a 72 tooth drive sprocket. The brake is band style.
anyway that's the scoop. I look forward to exchanging feedback in this community. thanks in advance.
-Allen
I'm mechanically inclined, but have never messed with carts. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I'll take a picture of the cart in the day time and post it on my thread here. So far, my son and I have take the four wheels off. The drive wheel was the most difficult (and the area I'll have my first set of questions). It's a fixed axle type cart. Basically the drive wheel turned fine on the bearings, but the sleeve was rusted onto the axle. It took a bit more percussive maintenance that I thought to get it off. It's got a 12 tooth engine sprocket and a 72 tooth drive sprocket. The brake is band style.
anyway that's the scoop. I look forward to exchanging feedback in this community. thanks in advance.
-Allen
Last edited: