Hello and My First Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormn94

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a go-kart as a project and am having some difficulties with the idle. It is a 6.5 hp engine and runs great except it doesn't idle. When I try to adjust the idle with the idle screw it will go from high rpms then drop completely and stall out. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks

Stormn94

Reaction score
Thanks for replying...

First of all, it is an old engine. I did clean out the carbeurator very well and I did notice a difference in how the engine ran but it did not affect the idle.

Thanks.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
how good clean did it get, clean out the jets ect

any air leaks where the carb attaches to the engine?

is the gasket in good condition

Stormn94

Reaction score
The carb has a gasket where it attaches to the engine so i don't think its leaking there. I will try to clean the jets tho. Thanks

Stormn94

Reaction score
Ok, so one of the rings on my piston snapped. Now I think I will probably just be getting a new engine. But thanks for all your help everybody I'll let you know how this turns out

-Nik

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
did the cylinder wall score when the ring broke, seems kind of drastic to buy a new engine, if there is no damage, but i take it there is

fowler

Reaction score
if u are getting a new engine because u cant be bothered or dont have the expertize to do the work then dont throw away the engine cause someone will buy it
its not a total loss

Stormn94

Reaction score
The cylinder is somewhat scraped up but I think it would still work. I found a used engine on Craigslist for real cheap and it runs good so I solved that problem. Thanks for the advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.