Hello, and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddis01

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just obtained a used kart that I want to make usable for my 9 and 6 year old daughters, and it needs a little help. I have zero experience with small engines but managed to get this one running, but still have some questions. I'll try to post pics as well but the questions are:

1. Anyone know if this is a production kart and what brand/era it might be?

2. How do I tell size wheels do I need to buy, specifically how do you know, when you're ordering, if the hub part is going to be too deep? The two front wheels on this kart are Margay and are bent to heck, the rear drive wheel is aluminum and has a big chunk missing, the right rear is a steel wheel and obviously doesn't fit the axle shaft. The axels are all 3 3/4 inches long and all have plenty of threaded axle sticking out with the wheels on except the right rear, which has about 1/4 inch (the kart was used and it didn't come with a nut on that wheel). that seems to be the one spec that they don't give is the depth of the hub of the wheel.

3. This kart has what looks to be an original 5hp Briggs. My question is with regard to the throttle linkage, and perhaps choice of pedals. I don't have any experience to draw upon, but I can tell that whoever attached this linkage was not highly skilled in the "making stuff work" category. I know I want to replace the linkage with new, and have found several sites with kits that look good, but the question is, how do you make the pedal return to it's idle position when the driver takes their foot off the gas. It seems like any spring at the engine side of the cable would be too weak. Any suggestions or common knowledge would be appreciated.

This engine starts and the clutch engages and the brakes seem to work (on the stand), so my primary objective is to get rubber on the road (which I believe will require new wheels) and throttle linkage that functions correctly and a seat. I didn't take a picture, but this kart came with a really cool seat cushion that looks like the ones you see on the old vintage RUPP Karts. No seat frame but I can make one out of wood until I gain some tube bending skills.

It sounds like there are a group of knowledgeable folks in the forum and I look forward to sharing this project with you.

Attachments

• IMAGE_047.jpg
    IMAGE_047.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAGE_048.jpg
    IMAGE_048.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAGE_049.jpg
    IMAGE_049.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

xXLife_PrismXx

Reaction score
Forgive my spelling, but it looks like a 5.5 briggs and stratton motor with a home built frame... For returning the throtle to its idle position you want to add (if not already there) spring directly to the throtle to some point on the engein that pulles the throtthe tight to the idle position. It dont have to be a killer spring cause you want to have a spring on the pedal to the frame pulling the pedal into the idle position, that way when you give it some gas the spring pulls the pedal back and the other spring makes sure its fully back to idle.. here are some photos of my very low buget kart but has the same concept...

xXLife_PrismXx

Reaction score
is a briggs 5.5... its my beater kart... that thing has been through hell...hey osscryu1, if i post some photosof the back of my mag and side of engin can u possibaly tell me how to attach my killswitch?

jr dragster T

Reaction score
On your ignition coil there will be a tab on it for a electrical connection. Connect a wire to that and when you want to shut off you engine just ground that wire from the coil to the frame.

daddis01

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's all. I discovered that the Kart is a Manco model 297. I took some pictures of the now functioning trottle linkage, but will have to post another time. I did however solve the problem with the Briggs and Stratton linkage kit suggested somewhere else in the forum as well as a new throttle cable (probably a Manco replacement part since it is a perfect fit). I replaced just the rear non-drive wheel to get it going. The kids are enjoying it the way it is, so I will probably leave it for now. I'll post pictures of my "adjustable" seat and the linkage when I get pictures off my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.