heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixta

Reaction score
:stir: hi guys so had some time this weekend and popd into the local scrap yard and found a honda clone :wai: it's not a 6.5hp I'm sure it's a 5.5hp so I checked the head bolt pattern and it would fit ..it's gotta small combustion chamber but unshure if it's a good idea to fit it especially cos the valves are quite small any ideas would b cool guys

rmm727

Reaction score
gx160 and gx200's use the same size valves. A gx160 head is typically a 14cc head whereas a gx200 is typically a 22cc head. There are 18cc heads out there which seem to be the most desirable. If the valves are small, it could be a gx140 head. I have a bunch of 14cc heads from 5.5 clones. They offer a nice boost in compression.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
how did u find a small engine like that in a scrap yard? do you just walk in and look around ?

That's how they roll in New Zealand.....:thumbsup:

lol that could be why in calie not only do u look like and idiot going around a scrap yard but they dont let you buy there metal

Well we can go in and buy stuff from the scrap yard too.... Bought a complete go kart that someone backed over in their car. Broke off the right rear axle and wheel, slight bend in the nerf bar.... NO big deal.... I got it at the price of scrap weight.... It was like $15..... (pennies per pound)
I drive up to the scales to get empty weight. Then I go "shopping" for anything of use or value,for my numerous projects and hobbies. People scrap good stuff. There is NO denying it. I'm one of the people who take advantage of that.
Case in point... The day I got the go kart, I also scored an edger that ONLY needed the carb cleaned and blade sharpened. I got 1 fairly new Olympic weight bar. A 15 gallon gas refuel station,with a slightly dented top. They retail for $120, and this one was not even a year old..... Via D-O-M stamp.... I also a bunch of sheet aluminum .120" thick.
I paid less than $35 for the "steel scrap" and $45 for the sheets of aluminum..... That was one HELLUVA score. I still have/use the fuel station. The edger I sold the engine off of for $40. The kart, I fixed and sold for $200. The weight bar, I donated to my fire department. And I'm still using the Aluminum..... You will see some louvered aluminum panels in my build off kart..... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OzFab

Reaction score
Ok, :backtotopic:

:stir: hi guys so had some time this weekend and popd into the local scrap yard and found a honda clone :wai: it's not a 6.5hp I'm sure it's a 5.5hp so I checked the head bolt pattern and it would fit ..it's gotta small combustion chamber but unshure if it's a good idea to fit it especially cos the valves are quite small any ideas would b cool guys

Is it a 5.5hp (160cc) or a 5hp (140cc)?

A 160 head will work well on the 200cc block but, a 140cc head has much smaller valves; however, it may be possible to have an engine shop fit the bigger 200cc valves to the smaller head... depending on the size of the valves & seats...

My engine (GX160) has a 140 head with 160 valves in it...

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Makes me want to go dumpster diving :idea2:
Well we can go in and buy stuff from the scrap yard too.... Bought a complete go kart that someone backed over in their car. Broke off the right rear axle and wheel, slight bend in the nerf bar.... NO big deal.... I got it at the price of scrap weight.... It was like $15..... (pennies per pound)
I drive up to the scales to get empty weight. Then I go "shopping" for anything of use or value,for my numerous projects and hobbies. People scrap good stuff. There is NO denying it. I'm one of the people who take advantage of that.
Case in point... The day I got the go kart, I also scored an edger that ONLY needed the carb cleaned and blade sharpened. I got 1 fairly new Olympic weight bar. A 15 gallon gas refuel station,with a slightly dented top. They retail for $120, and this one was not even a year old..... Via D-O-M stamp.... I also a bunch of sheet aluminum .120" thick.
I paid less than $35 for the "steel scrap" and $45 for the sheets of aluminum..... That was one HELLUVA score. I still have/use the fuel station. The edger I sold the engine off of for $40. The kart, I fixed and sold for $200. The weight bar, I donated to my fire department. And I'm still using the Aluminum..... You will see some louvered aluminum panels in my build off kart..... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OzFab

Reaction score
So here r the pics of the head and the engine numbers if any one can identify please

Since you have the head off, measure the bore; A Honda GX140 has a bore of 64mm (2.5") whereas a GX160 has a bore of 68mm (2.7") (stroke is the same in both engines, 45mm); a clone should only be fractionally different...

Another way to differentiate is to check the ports; A GX140 head has rouond ports, a GX160 had "D" shaped ports

Status
Not open for further replies.