have some questions about a yerf dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
We have a yerf dog 3203 in great shape. Guy I got it from just put a whole new comet set on it. Good carb, runs good. I have an issue with it though that I was looking to get some help with. It has the 6.5hp tecumseh the issue is when u start it the clutch grabs right away. I did turn the idle way down to minimize this effect but want it rightly adjusted at the tq/clutch. Has blue spring in it and has 3 holes numbered 1, 2, and 3 and the spring is in hole 1.
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Idle doesn't work but no matter how low I have the throttle the thing grabs
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
That part is obvious, I think the question here is why

The first thing you need to do is get the engine to idle; for now, remove the belt & let's work on that problem...

The carb probably needs a good clean; remove it, take it apart (taking lots of pics along the way so you know how it goes back together) & clean everything; do your best to not damage anything (gaskets, rubbers, etc) otherwise, you'll need to source a rebuild kit (which is not a bad idea); use carb cleaner, compressed air & a thin length of bare wire to poke any crud out of the small channels inside the carb...

As for the TC, there may be an issue with the way it was set up but, we'll get to that later...
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I'll be working on it tomorrow. I'll get some pics up. Runs perfect. Son rode it. Has no springs connected from the throttle to the choke though. Guy had a bent piece of wire going to it lol. I'll get pics and go from there. Thanks guys.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I'll be working on it tomorrow. I'll get some pics up. Runs perfect. Son rode it. Has no springs connected from the throttle to the choke though. Guy had a bent piece of wire going to it lol. I'll get pics and go from there. Thanks guys.

Great! You said it runs perfect though. I thought you said the engine couldn't idle. ???
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
It's not a carb issue is what I'm getting at. There's Nothing hookedup from the carb to the choke therefore it won't idle.
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
pics
 

Attachments

  • 01313_5UVAlwCbJos_600x450.jpg
    01313_5UVAlwCbJos_600x450.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 00T0T_b7vlA7LvQ0t_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_b7vlA7LvQ0t_600x450.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 11
  • 00T0T_RAsm3uORel_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_RAsm3uORel_600x450.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 00p0p_9mUMdJQevze_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_9mUMdJQevze_600x450.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 00X0X_i9f4bjacROJ_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_i9f4bjacROJ_600x450.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 10

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Trust me, it's a carb issue; for whatever reason, something is not doing what it's supposed to do...

The only thing I can make out from those pics is the belt on the TC appears to be a bit small...
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
There's nothing controlling the choke. I could take the carb apart but would be pointless
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Ok, idling fine now. Have no throttle seeing there's nothing hooked from my throttle to my choke. That is easy enough to figure out. Have the thing idling nice and low and it still grabs the belt instantly. How do I adjust this?
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
There seems to be a missing linakr or spring going from the throttle to the choke. Here's a pic. Hope this helps.
 

Attachments

  • 00S0S_b0ukNSxiw6C_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_b0ukNSxiw6C_600x450.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 9

Clifton

Member
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Location
Illinois
Ok, idling fine now. Have no throttle seeing there's nothing hooked from my throttle to my choke. That is easy enough to figure out. Have the thing idling nice and low and it still grabs the belt instantly. How do I adjust this?

It doesn't appear that carburetor has a choke. What you are actually referring to is the governor arm. (that thing covered in oil :p)

The post here will help you with the correct governor/throttle linkage:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showpost.php?p=336354&postcount=21

Your definition of a low idle might be different from someone elses. But if you really have the engine idling low (e.g. < 2000 rpm) and the clutch still engages, then the problem must lie with the clutch (cvt/torque converter).

Fabroman mentioned that the belt might be too small, have you checked that the belt is the correct length? It looks like that torque converter uses an asymmetrical belt (one side of the driver pulley is at an angle) - it may be the wrong belt, or could possibly be installed the wrong way around.

It is the driver pulley (the part that sits directly on the engine shaft) that engages/disengages the belt. (not the driven - which is the side that the chain is connected on)

You need to check for a brass bushing on the driver pulley, I think you are suppose to have one there. The belt sits directly on top of that bushing during idle. You may need to take the belt off and make sure that this bushing is clean and moves freely.

Try propping up the go kart so the wheels move freely or disconnect the chain and (while it is idling) watch the driver pulley and see what its doing. Does it expand out toward the belt and grab it?

If you have made sure that the belt is the correct one and the bushing etc is clean, then you should disassemble the driver pulley and inspect the springs to make sure they are properly installed and not worn or stretched out. You will want to take some pictures of that and post them here if you make it to this point.
 

n3480h

New member
Messages
286
Reaction score
2
Location
NW Iowa
Perhaps if its not too much trouble, you could let us know what you did to fix the problem? That way others who have a similar problem may benefit from your experience. Thank you.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Quite honestly, I don't care; there's nothing I despise more than someone who doesn't know what they're doing asking for advice, then telling the people he's asking that they're wrong; if you don't know, how the he11 can you know that we're all wrong? If you do know, why are you asking?
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Sorry to upset you fabroman. I knew the issue wasn't with my carb and the whole comet setup and belt are brand new as in haven't been rode on until 2 days ago and probably needs adjusted. The clutch is a little grabby yet but I can't seem to get help with adjusting it. To fix the whole idling issue I had to hook a spring from the governor arm to the throttle. I just turned the idle way down so the tq doesn't grab as bad or at least works right. Would like to get that working better though. How do I dial back the tq or clutch. No need to be condescending either. I'm in a wheelchair and doing the best I can to get this perfectly running for my kids. Just need to do the adjusting to the clutch/tq. Thanks in advance for the help
 

willjr

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I'll do a little looking on that driver pulley tomorrow Clifton and get back to u.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top