Has anyone ever tried to run a oil cooler off a pulse pump?

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Hey guy, where I live in Phoenix it normally gets over 110 degrees in the summer. I am looking for an additional way to cool my air-cooled 420cc. Could I use a pulse pump to run oil through a filter and radiator? I dont see why not. Links to what im thinking of using will be below. Thanks

pulse pump: Amazon.com : CNCMOTOK 808656 Fuel Pump Replaces Upgrade Aluminum Alloy to Prevent Oil Leakage for 691034/808281/692313/557033 Engine Lawn Mower Tractor : Garden & Outdoor

remote filter adapter: Amazon.com: Derale 15728 Remote Filter Mount Kit: Automotive

oil cooler: Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 679 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive

jmaack

Reaction score
There was a video on YouTube of someone doing this exact thing or similar. Build break repeat iirc turbo build.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
A pulse fuel pump is driven at twice the pulses as a 4-stroke motor is rated on its own rpm. (2 revolutions of crankshaft for each full 4-stroke cycle).
The amount of fluid moved per pulse of the pump is probably measured in microns. If my motor will spin on up to the 7,200 rpm expected, that would be 14,400 pulses of the pump, or 240 pulses per second.
Would certainly create a suction with fluid in it, fuel or oil, but I really don't believe it can pass as viscous a fluid as oil through itself.
Imagine dividing the amount of oil you want passing through the pump in 1 second into 240 parts. Too viscous I think, but let us know how it goes.
P.S.: The Build, Break, Repeat guy used a real oil pump on their turbo.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
NOTE: Forgot to mention................
The pulse pump is driven by the bore and stroke displacement of the piston, pressurizing the case on the downstrokes, and relieving it on the upstrokes, flexing the diaphragm in the pump.
If you install some kind of radiator or catch can or anything that lets the case relieve pressure on the downstrokes, the pulse pump feeding fuel to your motor will probably quit.

jmaack

Reaction score
A pulse fuel pump is driven at twice the pulses as a 4-stroke motor is rated on its own rpm. (2 revolutions of crankshaft for each full 4-stroke cycle).
The amount of fluid moved per pulse of the pump is probably measured in microns. If my motor will spin on up to the 7,200 rpm expected, that would be 14,400 pulses of the pump, or 240 pulses per second.
Would certainly create a suction with fluid in it, fuel or oil, but I really don't believe it can pass as viscous a fluid as oil through itself.
Imagine dividing the amount of oil you want passing through the pump in 1 second into 240 parts. Too viscous I think, but let us know how it goes.
P.S.: The Build, Break, Repeat guy used a real oil pump on their turbo.
It might not be that video then there is one on YouTube using a pulse pump for oil.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
You'd be better off running an electric pump over a pulse pump. It would be more reliable. However since this is I'm assuming on an engine with an oil slinger on the bottom of the rod and not a pressure lube system, you would be better off just not running an oil cooler and spin on oil filter for it. But You would be better off overall getting an engine with a pressure lube setup (Briggs and Stratton 479 V-twin 14 and 16hp, 18hp v-twin, Honda GX688, Vegas Carts 625cc single). All of those listed already have a pressurized lubrication setup with spin-on oil filters. The Briggs 479 and the larger 18hp and up, do have optional remote oil filter relocation kits and oil coolers.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
You'd be better off running an electric pump over a pulse pump. It would be more reliable. However since this is I'm assuming on an engine with an oil slinger on the bottom of the rod and not a pressure lube system, you would be better off just not running an oil cooler and spin on oil filter for it. But You would be better off overall getting an engine with a pressure lube setup (Briggs and Stratton 479 V-twin 14 and 16hp, 18hp v-twin, Honda GX688, Vegas Carts 625cc single). All of those listed already have a pressurized lubrication setup with spin-on oil filters. The Briggs 479 and the larger 18hp and up, do have optional remote oil filter relocation kits and oil coolers.

id rather not use an electic pump bc I have no way to charge it and I dont want to have to worry about battery levels

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If it's a 420, you can get a larger Stator setup. An electric pump from EcoTron drew about 1.5 amps.

mckutzy

Reaction score
With a 420, it has enough power, you can run a self exciting alternator with a battery...
Youll have all the power youll need for this...

Kartorbust

Reaction score
With a 420, it has enough power, you can run a self exciting alternator with a battery...
Youll have all the power youll need for this...

If they run this kit with the bullet aluminum pulley, remove the pull start side cover (long as the flywheel has the starter ring gear), they could use this to run the alternator.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you have some very thin gauge sheet metal or aluminum, you can increase the air cooling around the case by adding to the existing engine cooling system.
People refer to the thin metal pieces formed around the outside of the Predator engines and held in place by just a couple of screws as "heat shields", and they do protect from you touching the block, but that's not their primary purpose.
Primarily they guide the air draft coming from the flywheel-mounted cooling fan to pass around the block and case to cool it.
You can hand-form some thin metal to extend that flow all around the sides and underneath of the case to further cool the case and the oil in it. Just feel the airflow when the engine's running to get an idea how to further direct that air.
Use the engine's existing screws wherever to hold the extra metal in place very close to the case.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
When I sold and serviced golf carts high use Club Cars would start blowing oil. One thing I learned oil does not play nice with the rubber diaphragms in the pump. I also doubt they would last long with the heat. With no restrictions they will pump an amazing amount of fuel though. 😳