Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
NOT a good deal.

So I'm sure a bunch of you, like me, had some of these recalled stands. I used them for a buggy that I no longer have. Mine were stolen, so I never brought them back. Anyway, looking for a set for my car now.

If you brought them back, did you get credit or did they give you the new jack stands? I was going to look at the new ones, but my local store said the new ones they got were the same as the recalled ones. I was told the new ones were coming soon.

Anybody have experience with the recall? Or the quality of the new jack stands if they were available elsewhere? Either the aluminum "racing" or the "heavy duty"? I think the new ones are both 3 ton, but not sure. I know the $50 aluminum stands are 3 ton.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m curious too. The letter I got said they’ll refund the purchase price. Now if I can remember to put the stands in the truck so I’ll have them...

mellow

Reaction score
I took mine back a few months back when I got the letter thinking I could get the new ones, well I am still waiting for the "new" ones to get released.

They gave me a GC for the amount I paid for the jacks plus tax.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So there's no replacement? I just haven't been using mine. Anyone "seen" them fail or seen a video or something?

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Did the clutch in my truck with these stands holding it up. Safe to say they worked fine. Dad returned them, don't remember if it was store credit or not.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tested mine yesterday, and they didn't do the falling thing, but I'm returning them anyway. Also I smashed my finger doing it, so I'm extra mad. ;) LOL

AmishMike

Reaction score
Looking at the angle of the teeth where the cam catches, I don't like either one. The cam should catch and you should have to raise the shank portion to disengage the cam. Those angles are too open for my liking.
I have a family to care for so I will stick with good jack-stands.

Rat

Reaction score
I got my 2ton stands from Auto Zone... HF is good for a lot tools and other things, but I'm not interested in anything from there that is 95% guaranteed death should it ever fail on the job... and I've done some sketchy makeshift work to do things in very inconvenient places.

Spare tire wheel failed on my ex's truck going down the road... it took a dead man's jack, and 2 floor Jack's to get it lifted up and replace the lug studs the wheel damaged letting go and get the aluminum rim back on with a fresh tire.

For the curious: it took 3 Jack's because the front driver's side was sitting on the lower ball joint nut and the dead man (scissor jack) was used to get enough lift to slide the smaller floor jack under the ball joint, that was used to get the lift needed to put the bigger jack at a safe lifting point to get the lift needed to put the wheel on.

The spare was on a decayed steel rim that looked and felt solid but was not