Harbor Freight E7018 stick rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

newrider3

Reaction score
...Are just as terrible as their flux cored welding wire. They won't hold an arc for anything, and are infuriatingly prone to sticking (no matter striking technique or amperage setting). Yes, you'll always stick the rod a couple times when arc welding, but it is ridiculous with these, compared to good rods.
Flux falls off very easily. Leaves porosity at the beginning and the end of your bead (provided you can get it to stay lit).
If you're ever tempted to buy arc rods from HF, put them back down and run far away, get some Lincoln rods.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I beg to differ. I've run Lincoln and HF rods side by side, stop and start welds. The only difference I can visually see is the flux coating after welding. They run great...

Now, if you've failed to properly dry them, I can see that happening.

Their flux core wire works fine if you know what you're doing. A tad more splattery? Sure. Other than that, it works just as fine.

I've also found their angle grinder grinding and cutting discs to be dirt cheap and work the same as the name brand stuff (found at HD or Lowes, at least).

newrider3

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to dry arc rods right out of the box. That just shows a lack of quality and manufacturing control.

Whatever, I've run about a pound of Lincoln 7018 rods after the pound of HF rods, and the difference is night and day.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I didn't dry my rods either o_O. Took them out of the box and into my backpack night before lol.

Maybe I'll try them again tomorrow when school starts..

karl

Reaction score
Also on the 7018 package it says "Good for steels swith poor weldability". See the problem with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.