Harbor Freight 6.5 Horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
Probably beating a dead horse here, but is this engine worth $130? Looking at it for a kids kart for farting around. I assume it's Chinese, so parts will be non-existent. Thoughts?

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
i wouldnt pay 130 for it...and there a EXACT rip off of a honda gx serise... parts are interchangable between the two.... but still if i were to get one for free id drain the oil disable the govoner and put a few ball bearings in the crank case and wait for it to blow itself to peices.... if i were you i would look on craigslist for a briggs... or at least something made in america..

but thats just my comunist hating self

catdaddy

Reaction score
my son and i just put one of them on his cart a couple of weeks ago. it starts first pull and runs smooth as silk. he couldnt be happier. he says its much better than his old tecumseh. i only paid 110 bucks for it at harbor freight with a 20% off cupon i got from retailmenot.com

slideways

Reaction score
You can pick them up at Harbor Freight if you wait for a sale. They're usually 129 there but often go on sale for 119 or 99.

Like the practical people say, they run excellent and have great features. If there is a problem you can get a warranty and they'll just replace it. But any repair parts are easily found online or through a Honda dealer.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
Well, it's for an 11 yr. old, who will have the throttle governed, not going to be modded......

slideways

Reaction score
Perfect choice, brand new, easy to start and maintain. There is a nice screw that can adjust how far the throttle opens as he gets more comfortable too.

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
Great choice. Parts are plentiful. Also, they are easily modded, so if your son wants to get technical with his kart. He has a large selection of parts and detailed instructions from most suppliers.

Remember to get the warranty for the engine. Harbor Freight has a complete replacement program.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
i wouldnt pay 130 for it...and there a EXACT rip off of a honda gx serise... parts are interchangable between the two.... but still if i were to get one for free id drain the oil disable the govoner and put a few ball bearings in the crank case and wait for it to blow itself to peices.... if i were you i would look on craigslist for a briggs... or at least something made in america..

but thats just my comunist hating self

Exactly. And the Honda counterparts are $400-$500 new.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
In the Harbor Freight picture it looks like a lever throttle on the engine itself, how hard would it be to convert to throttle cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.