Hammerhead 80cc twister?

Breid

Reaction score
new to site have just brought this for my sons 8th birthday next week and I’m already having problems.
petrol in the oil so will need to find a carb, or carb kit. What oil should I replace it with.
any info would be greatly appreciated and helpful. The ‘flower patin in pick 2 is on the tree plate as well .
has a very 70s look to it

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Hammerhead is owned my Polaris now, that looks to be an old original, so I'd imagine giving the carb a tear down and cleaning would likely reveal what's actually going on.
If it has a VC like the new ones do then the diaphragm is probably hardened and cracked from age.

As for the oil most machines call for 5w20 for seasonal use or 10w30 for year round

Breid

Reaction score
Hammerhead is owned my Polaris now, that looks to be an old original, so I'd imagine giving the carb a tear down and cleaning would likely reveal what's actually going on.
If it has a VC like the new ones do then the diaphragm is probably hardened and cracked from age.

As for the oil most machines call for 5w20 for seasonal use or 10w30 for year round
That’s for your help could not get carb kit so have replaced it.

Rat

Reaction score
That’s for your help could not get carb kit so have replaced it.
I'd keep the original carb and keep looking, maybe with some help. How about a pic of the carb in question?
I've tracked that style Hammerhead kart to 2010, which is definitely a pre-Polaris year. Polaris acquired them in 2015.

The daisy pattern was a Nod to their home office location (Flower Mound Tx)

Last edited:

Breid

Reaction score
I'd keep the original carb and keep looking, maybe with some help. How about a pic of the carb in question?
I've tracked that style Hammerhead kart to 2010, which is definitely a pre-Polaris year. Polaris acquired them in 2015.

The daisy pattern was a Nod to their home office location (Flower Mound Tx)
Thanks for that info
There are some photos of the carb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Rat

Reaction score
Thanks for that info
There are some photos of the carb
Ok that's a VC (vaccum carb) which uses negative pressure to function.

If it's anything like the 150 LE-150 I worked on it has SEVERAL lines to it and the fuel tank uses a regulator valve instead of a petcock.

So there should be a 1/4" ID automotive type fuel line from one side to the carb. There should be a smaller one (3/16?) That runs to the engine below the carb to a plastic T that one side runs up to the carb, the other to a valve on the Engine to get its negative pulse.

THAT SAID any one of those lines can cause an issue by being left disconnected or leaking in any way.
The easiest thing to check since it's already off the engine is the carb.

Remove the black cap (gently) and make sure the diaphragm is not hardened or torn. Then check the bowl for debris assuming of course you haven't already pulled it all apart to try cleaning it out.

Breid

Reaction score
Ok that's a VC (vaccum carb) which uses negative pressure to function.

If it's anything like the 150 LE-150 I worked on it has SEVERAL lines to it and the fuel tank uses a regulator valve instead of a petcock.

So there should be a 1/4" ID automotive type fuel line from one side to the carb. There should be a smaller one (3/16?) That runs to the engine below the carb to a plastic T that one side runs up to the carb, the other to a valve on the Engine to get its negative pulse.

THAT SAID any one of those lines can cause an issue by being left disconnected or leaking in any way.
The easiest thing to check since it's already off the engine is the carb.

Remove the black cap (gently) and make sure the diaphragm is not hardened or torn. Then check the bowl for debris assuming of course you haven't already pulled it all apart to try cleaning it out.
I think that’s the problem there is no 3/16 line on it will try and track where they should be and get some set up.
Thanks

Breid

Reaction score
IMG_0814.jpegIMG_0814.jpeg
is this the side I should be looking at

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpeg
    IMG_0815.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Rat

Reaction score
View attachment 146384View attachment 146384
is this the side I should be looking at
Well I see an actual petcock on your tank, so there should only be a line supplying vacuum to the carb itself coming up from a nipple on the engine. It looks like that might be it coming up from near the stud.

More pics of the carb would be good too, I see a fuel inlet, and a bowl drain, but that's all which is odd for a VC unless it is one of the junk ones that gets its signal directly though the manifold and some internal passages.

That electronic choke plunger servo should be tested as well... if it happens to be fried and stuck open you'll always be flooding.

Last edited: