Gx390

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I have the option to buy a gx390 and it currently in a generator for $200. Are they worth it? And would I need to do anything to get it to bolt up to a torque converter?
Don't give me the use the search button excuse. I used it and not a whole lot came up.

I need to know parts I need to get this to work.

How do I find out what output shaft it has?
Cause there's like 6 different ones.

Smcgillis10

Reaction score

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
well.. DEPENDS I'm afraid :(

No, in 99% of all cases I'd say you cannot just mount a Torque converter (OR clutch);
you'll need to swap the crankshaft at least, maybe even the crankcase cover..
I can't tell from your second pic if it's the stock or custom cover.

So, take a pic w/o snow and from the other side for us to judge.

200?? that's too much for your purpose (it's still a fair price for another generator though)

'sid

PS serial number and engine type is stamped below the starter,
I can't recall but I guess you can determine the exact case and shaft options encoded with those.

KartFab

Reaction score
It does have electric start though! Tell him you'll give $100 for the engine if it has a tapered shaft, and $200 for a straight shaft. New gx390 crank shafts are 'only' $55 shipped, if you needed a crankcase cover they are $20.You don't run into cheap gx390s with electric start everyday.

I have purchased the following over the past year or so (after a LOT of searching)

Gx390 $75 (needed carb clean, new muffler)
Gx390 $200 (looked almost new)
Gx340 $100 (elec start). Needed nothing.

Also looks like you will need to get a different throttle linkage as that one is not how they are usually set up for variable rpms, which is $25... So yeah maybe just offer $75-$150 depending on shaft?

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I offered him $100 but he says its a whole generator and it all works so he won't take less then $200. But I have another option. I have a guy that had an xr500 dirt bike engine he wants $100

Status
Not open for further replies.