Gx390 clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llywelynhughes

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am using a gx390 engine for a buggy.
Guessing using a centrifugal clutch will just burn out immediately.
I've seen people using torque converters such as the 40 series. Would this be the best option? And is there any need for a jackshaft or can I connect it straight to the rear axel?
 

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Messages
9,646
Reaction score
1,860
Location
Chicago-town USA
A CC may work with proper gearing (which is a tougher question), but for a buggy I'd say TC is better.

The 40 series requires a Jackshaft.
The DriveR unit goes on the CRANKshaft.
The DriveN unit goes on the JACKshaft.

A chain connects the sprocket on the Jackshaft to the sprocket on the Axle.

How big are your tires?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

The CC you would want is probably close to the price of a knock off 40 series. You would have to install the jackshaft with the 40 series tho.

Maybe something like this...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...zt8qIQ5JWvrF7JB1e00prNY0OIflKGo4bkaAuTB8P8HAQ

It comes with a #40 Ten tooth Sprocket. Match that with a #40 60T on the axle.
It also comes with a 14T Sprocket, which you might be able to use for more speed (depending on the size of your tires).

I have a question. When gearing a 390 kart.....
Since it has about double the Torque as a 6.5HP, can you cut the gear ratio in half?
With a CC, I imagine you would have to engage at a much lower RPM to avoid engaging at 30 MPH.
With a TC, you can probably get away with a closer to half, cause the 2.5x advantage from the TC at engagement??????????????

Thoughts?, comments?, Concerns?
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
A CC may work with proper gearing (which is a tougher question), but for a buggy I'd say TC is better.

The 40 series requires a Jackshaft.
The DriveR unit goes on the CRANKshaft.
The DriveN unit goes on the JACKshaft.

A chain connects the sprocket on the Jackshaft to the sprocket on the Axle.

How big are your tires?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

The CC you would want is probably close to the price of a knock off 40 series. You would have to install the jackshaft with the 40 series tho.

Maybe something like this...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...zt8qIQ5JWvrF7JB1e00prNY0OIflKGo4bkaAuTB8P8HAQ

It comes with a #40 Ten tooth Sprocket. Match that with a #40 60T on the axle.
It also comes with a 14T Sprocket, which you might be able to use for more speed (depending on the size of your tires).

I have a question. When gearing a 390 kart.....
Since it has about double the Torque as a 6.5HP, can you cut the gear ratio in half?
With a CC, I imagine you would have to engage at a much lower RPM to avoid engaging at 30 MPH.
With a TC, you can probably get away with a closer to half, cause the 2.5x advantage from the TC at engagement??????????????

Thoughts?, comments?, Concerns?

What he said...
 

Llywelynhughes

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
thanks for the reply.
haven't got tires for it yet... still in the thinking stage at the moment haha
what size do you reckon would be best to maximise the torque?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top