GX270 and 30 series TC alignment concern (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
See video link:
https://youtu.be/n_rhXqG0fcY

Question: is the alignment of the driver versus the driven too far off? I measure a 0.250 lateral difference.

If so, option A is that I space the driver away from the motor. with a 1" ID washer.

Option B was to remove the washer next to the sprocket on the driven, but I took that appart and that washer is special. It stops the shaft assembly from going further towards the engine. Almost like a c clip.
I am worried that if I pull that shaft out to mess with that washer, the housing's inner spacer inside will fall and I will never get that thing to allow the shaft back through it.

qtband

Reaction score
As said earlier, washer on the crank.
Watch where you mount the engine w/TC. I run into issues with the chain rubbing against the backing plate. Hopefully, you won't have that issue.

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
Thanks fellas!

Good point on the chain rubbing the backing plate. The -40 chain is pretty thick. I will error towards the chain running "away" instead of in.

Bob, I do not have what you show there. I received something similar ,but with no keyway and it serves to "cap" the Driver with the crank bolt going through it. It did come with a 1" long, 1" ID spacer that is black. NO clue what that was supposed to be for. I did not receive a bronze bushing for the belt to slip on while idling. Should I order one?

I found the washers I needed at Fastenall. sku # 33445.
They come in various gauges. I got 3ea of 14 gauge for $1.14

Also, FYI, the bolts that come with this kit are:
5/16-14 x1"long (course, not -24 fine like my Honda motor is)
5/16-14 x2"long (course, not fine and not 7/16-20 like my GX270 crank is. so the provided black end cap for the Driver pulley has a 5/16 hole. need to drill that out.)

So it takes a little craftiness to make cheap work! :lol:
BTW, Fastenal sells a 1"-14 nylon nut (axle nut) that is thin for $2.64. sku 37147 A better deal than I could find elsewhere. I buggered mine up spending 2 hours beating the F'ing stock brake drum off. **** was that thing stuck!

Oh, and I could not rotate the backing plate to face the other direction (frontward) because of the strength "fins" on the inside of the plate. They are laid out in such a way that the chain follows where the fins are not. When flipped to the front, the chain is all over the fins. Also, that put the chain very close to my frame. Either way, I had to cut the oil dip stick bung/boss. I did not need to cut off as much as I did.

I think I will leave what is left of the dip stick tube down in there and just slap some JB weld on it.

Kentucky Boy

Reaction score
Get one of these like mentioned earlier. This part locks on the crank. It's a better part than just the washer...from my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.