Gtc/comet clutch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wall gator

Reaction score
JUST PURCHASED A NEW GTC TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH FOR MY 6.5 CLONE ENGINE. MY QUESTION IS.....CLUTCH SEEM'S REALLY NOISEY (LIKE MARBLES ROLLIN ROUND IN A WASHING MACH)??????? I THOUGHT THESE CLUTCHES WERE QUIET????? ALSO, HAVE TO PROP UP THE REAR(JASCK STANDS) BECAUSE EVEN AT IDLE THE CLUTCH ENGAGES????? WHAT DID I DO WRONG?? (FOLLOWED THE INST TO THE TEE) AND HOW DO I CORRECT THIS PROBLEM????? THANKS WALT:mad2:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
PLEASE DON'T YELL!!!
Which model is it? Obviously something's not right, they should be dead quiet. Toss up some pics if you can.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
to fix your kart moving forward try adjusting the driven spring tension to be tighter, or install an e-brake. maybe your chain is loose? are you sure everything is bolted on still?

wall gator

Reaction score
PLEASE DON'T YELL!!!
Which model is it? Obviously something's not right, they should be dead quiet. Toss up some pics if you can.
:idea2:sorry no pic's..new to this puter stuff!!! it's a gtc torque converter(new replacement for comet/ 30 series) pic's at gtcindustries.com.,,,,this is a real nice product...mount's to hoda/clone w/o mods.....it has the correct belt(203589)..simple to instal(followed structions)....will not disengag,while idle..seems to be engadged at all times????? make one hell of a racket????.....what do in need to do, to correct problem????:mad2:

wall gator

Reaction score
to fix your kart moving forward try adjusting the driven spring tension to be tighter, or install an e-brake. maybe your chain is loose? are you sure everything is bolted on still?

:mad2: chain is correct.....e brake???.....how do i adjust the driven spring tension??????.....other than being real noisy(kinda like marbles rattlin round)...the thing seems to be engauged all the time.....i rev it up...more noise..but seems to work....i just installed a hyd.brake(cycle style) master on handle bars...but on jack stands(tune eng/adj carb) wheels turn all the time??...any help???? please!!!!! walt:innocent:

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
try lowering the idle speed by turning the little black plastic screw(under the air filter) counterclockwise.

wall gator

Reaction score
:idea2:sorry no pic's..new to this puter stuff!!! it's a gtc torque converter(new replacement for comet/ 30 series) pic's at gtcindustries.com.,,,,this is a real nice product...mount's to hoda/clone w/o mods.....it has the correct belt(203589)..simple to instal(followed structions)....will not disengag,while idle..seems to be engadged at all times????? make one hell of a racket????.....what do in need to do, to correct problem????:mad2:

:furious2:D.a.m....sorry should be GTCMANUFACTURES.COM:oops:

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Have you contacted the place you got the clutch from? No point messing with something that came already broken.

wall gator

Reaction score
:iagree: heading to shop now......all the parts brand new...all look's good(to me)....the driver and driven look o.k.....i havent disassembled either unit....goin to shop and try again..will post problem (if i find one).....thank's for all the help guy's....:wai:

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
look inside the driver, make sure nothing is really loose.like devino said if you haven't lowered the idle speed that could be the problem, you can change the idle speed be the screw on the carb, or on some engines on the throttle plate there is a screw that keeps the throttle lever open. also make sure the driven is tight, try to find out where the rattling noise is. you can adjust the driven by moving the spring into a different hole on the driven's cam (not sure which hole, blaz? someone?). what was wrong with your comet tc? pics?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Nope. It's not going to be an adjustment. Should be dead silent, disengaged at idle. My money is on either a defective part of assembly fault. Take it back.

metalthrashinman

Reaction score
Make sure both pulleys are aligned, and spinning straight. did you torque them to specs? You did not specify which model you have... Is there a mounting plate that you bolted to the motor? If not maybe your distance between the pulleys is incorrect. Try taking the belt off and running the motor to a higher rpm--- still have the noise, then it is the driver, if no noise, perhaps the driven. Is your chain too tight? Does the belt have slack?
Pictures are easy to add an will help us all help you... :idea2:

redsox985

Reaction score
Does it have garter springs? Have you set it down while running? Sometime that bit of resistance from the weight will allow the belt to slip over the clutches like idle. Put someone in it and then start it so they can hit the brakes and kill if it takes off.

wall gator

Reaction score
:auto: JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK....AFTER PULLING..DRIVER..FOUND ONE OF THE SPRINGS(INNER) STRECHED OUTTA SHAPE????? I FIGURE THIS IS THE PROBLEM?? OTHER SPRING O.K.......WHEN HOLDING THE SPRING OUTRIGHT.ONE END GOES DOWN/THE OTHER END POINTS UP. I EYEBALLED THE DRIVEN///LOOKS GOOD TO ME//DID NOT DO A TEAR DOWN. THIS IS WAS ON A NEW ENGINE(STOCK).AND A BRAND NEW CLUTCH. HAD MY RIDE(TOP SECRECT FOR NOW???) UP ON JACK STAND(ONLY LOAD WAS AXLE(LIVE) AND TIRES....THIS CLUTCH WAS INSTALLED PROPERLY.....START ENG.(WARM UP 3/4 MINS.) MARBLE RATTLE FROM THE GET GO...COUPLE OF REVS(SEE CLUTCH FUNCTION)...I KNOW..SHOUDA SHUT HER DOWN THEN..BUT HEY!! FIRST TIME WITH MY MY TOY!!!! AS STATED NO LOAD ON KART WAS ON JACK STANDS!! SO WHERE TO GO TO BUY ME SOME NEW SPRINGS????? THANKS FOR HELPIN..WALT:idea2:

wall gator

Reaction score
you keep yelling and you are not listening to any of us.

...sorry for yellin....and i'm really payin tension to all replys....now i know what to call the spring(garter).....one looks o.k...the other..something wrong...i did not purchase locally...so takin it back is out!!! I feel.i broke the thing. So i need to buy another one.... All i thing i need is to repalce the garter spring...and try again....as stated...followed the instructions(to the letter) my project was 50 miles away....rec.clutch one day....practiced on a spare block(installin clutch).....just brought my ride closer to home......had to do mods(to clearance) for torque verter....install hyd. Brake.....put in new eng/clutch fired her up..... And here i am....tryin to figure out how i screwed up....sorry you think i was yellin.....i'm just frustrated my plan did'nt go as i thought it wood......thanks walt

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That's too bad that you feel you can't return it, because either you buggered up the install or it's a warranty claim. Did you install that spring, or was it factory installed?

wall gator

Reaction score
Does it have garter springs? Have you set it down while running? Sometime that bit of resistance from the weight will allow the belt to slip over the clutches like idle. Put someone in it and then start it so they can hit the brakes and kill if it takes off.

:surrender:YES....2 ONE LOOKS GOOD/THE OTHER APPEARS STRECHED OUT AND BENT. DID NOT SET DOWN BUT I DID TRY TO STOP WHEELS FORM SPINNIN (WAY WAY TO MUCH TO HANDLE) WITH THE NOISE AND NO IDLE(CLUTCH) NOT CARB. NO BRAKES INSTALLED AT TIME.. AFTER A FEW REVS WATCHING THE CLUTCH WORK(LOOKED GOOD TO ME) SHUT IT DOWN.....AND POSTED PROBLEM TO TRY AND GET HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.