Ground up build

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Certainly could be just the way I'm "casting" my glance at that front end, but it so very much looks like you didn't build any caster into it at all. I personally prefer more, but it seems most folks like 3-5 degrees of caster to keep the front wheels naturally returning to straight ahead at speed.

COB619

Reaction score
Certainly could be just the way I'm "casting" my glance at that front end, but it so very much looks like you didn't build any caster into it at all. I personally prefer more, but it seems most folks like 3-5 degrees of caster to keep the front wheels naturally returning to straight ahead at speed.
Yea you’re right I’m no expert and could be completely wrong but the spindles have offset pivot points and the front chassis raises about half an inch if I turn left or right since the camber changes when turning. I figured weight would want to pull the wheels back straight from what I’ve read about king pin Inclination but yea I hope anyway.
Another interesting point is while looking up steering geometry, the steering arms on the spindles are kinda short and not pointed inwards that would give it some Ackerman steering so basically it has what they call parallel steering. I read some drift cars or dirt track guys use parellel but yea… Eventually if I make a street kart I’ll take my time with the steering lol

Last edited:

COB619

Reaction score
So I shortened the tie rods and welded them up. The rack and pinion side is still adjustable. Not perfect but pretty closeF8EA5B53-0897-4E58-9C71-F65DD52FFCC2.jpeg
Starting setting up where the steering wheel is going to be. Kinda wanted it more vertical like a car577785A4-E892-4B21-BFB5-2622F1A51EDF.jpeg
8465FFF8-34C8-45BB-9BB9-D496DDC411B3.jpeg
Welded it to the front beam and floor brace. Will add some guessets for strength later but it’s surprisingly strong as it sits there’s no flex. The joint angles look pretty steep but it turns no problem.
Set the 212 on the back to get an idea how it’s going to look 👍🏻944C6110-DDE6-4F80-B9A8-EF294B0DFB8C.jpeg

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Lookin' good :thumbsup:
...but, seems ta be a bit on the short or small side :huh:

What is the pedal to seat back distance, going to be?
How tall are you?
Do you prefer plaid or Kaki? (um...I mean...never mind) :unsure:

COB619

Reaction score
for the engine mounting plate... ADD SUPPORT UNDER IT, I made that mistake and it took me FOREVER to figure out why the chain kept popping off
Very true I kinda learned that that hard way today lol

Pretty productive day I been holding off on making some pedals until I put on a throttle cable and the brake caliper. I’ve been unsure how to mount the caliper but I think I’ve managed to find a solution. I used some flat stock and angle iron.
I know it’s kinda weird but the ol’ lady made a point I kind of agree with having the pedals on the same side. For the kids it’s either gas or brake with their foot like a car and I think it turned out alright. I was going to make a linkage that went to the brake master cylinder but mounted it behind the pedal instead. I’ll need a skid plate eventually B8A06680-4129-4AA5-AFC5-9ED0F9BC316F.jpeg

Locating the caliper so it floats over the disk was tricky. It will be cleaned up and supported. I wanted it to be on the back of the disk for protection but it worked out better this way. The bleeder is at the top.

42A8CFA3-038B-4420-BBA1-ADB6F07A8044.jpeg
I ditched the rear plate idea and put In some 1” square with a slotted plate to hold the motor. Can’t see it here but there’s another length that runs under the plate to the back of the frame. It was welded in 3 places so I could take the kart for a shake down run around the yard. A9FD9912-9E6B-40B1-BB64-B8A2AFC6621B.jpeg
It ran great it made that old 3.5hp Briggs I rode when I was younger look like a basket case. The chain kept popping off so I realized the mounting plate actually flexed and the motor was now slanted making it lose the chain.. Lesson learned I cut out the plate and reinforced it with more tubing.
7CCD9801-F271-4E37-AB0E-6D2756C42142.jpeg
631BA420-F0BD-4FD9-9ACE-7E3A1E32A363.jpeg
Threw it back together for another try and ran really well. With the parallel steering and live rear axle it’s a blast to drive on gravel and it’s really predictable. It turns fine on pavement but you can tell it’s not too happy about it but so far so good FF87739D-AA1A-4FE4-A5CF-054D64782023.jpeg

COB619

Reaction score
Lookin' good :thumbsup:
...but, seems ta be a bit on the short or small side :huh:

What is the pedal to seat back distance, going to be?
How tall are you?
Do you prefer plaid or Kaki? (um...I mean...never mind) :unsure:
Yea it’s pretty small lol I always been a fan of small compact things. I’m sure I look like bowser in Mario kart 64 or something since I’m pretty tall and about 220 lbs but yea.. Pedal to seat back is about 32 inches. Wheelbase is 44 inches

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Yea it’s pretty small lol I always been a fan of small compact things. I’m sure I look like bowser in Mario kart 64 or something since I’m pretty tall and about 220 lbs but yea.. Pedal to seat back is about 32 inches. Wheelbase is 44 inches
I built a smallish kart a few years back named !ARRIBA! :thumbsup:
Here is a video I made of 'er "showin' off" :cheers2:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The bleeder is at the top.
Hoping for your sake you don't have to bleed it all. I got that same cheesy master cylinder, came with a caliper and 18" line as a single unit, it was about $21 back then. Purposely got it and a 84" line to reach the back of my really long kart.
Found out when trying to fill the new line and bleed all the air out that a couple of pumps of the pedal then called for more fluid, and the master cylinder had to be removed and held plunger down, unscrew the back, and then add a tablespoon of fluid over and over. Sheetcanned the MC and got one with a reservoir, holds enough for a bunch of pumps, refills in place. Original setup and new MC linked below...............
ATV Go Kart Rear Hydraulic Master Cylinder Brake Disc Calliper Assembly | eBay....................plus the 84" line.................
2100mm Hydraulic Brake Line Hose Cable Motorbike Dirt ATV Quad Bike Buggy GoKart | eBay...................and then the replacement MC................
Rear Hydraulic Brake Master Cylinder Go Kart Sport Sprint Cart Kit Bike Chopper | eBay

COB619

Reaction score
What are those front spindles off of? I kind of like them.
I got them from Amazon like this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08CZBMND5/ref=sspa_mw_detail_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not sure what they’re supposed to be for but you can get just the spindles for around 45. I saw a kit on there where you can mount disks on the hubs and attach calipers to the spindles may be pretty cool but I think they were a little pricey
I built a smallish kart a few years back named !ARRIBA! :thumbsup:
Here is a video I made of 'er "showin' off" :cheers2:
That things got a lot of torque and it’s electric that’s pretty sweet! Like a little tug

Hoping for your sake you don't have to bleed it all…https://www.ebay.com/itm/352914069603
Yea me too lol I like that reservoir one might be a future upgrade 👍🏻

COB619

Reaction score
Did you have to buy flowers to make the wife ok with the build?
View attachment 130022
🤣🤣 I had to slowly get all the parts together over a span of a few months to fly under the radar. Got the usual eye roll when she figured it out lol

Since the project didn’t explode into a pile of bars I went ahead and disassembled it then did some finishing welding and tied up some loose ends. Took the opportunity to weigh the frame and was kinda surprised I don’t think I could do that again if I tried
4A582D0B-A44F-4CE4-A03B-C4C492528F7E.jpeg

Had to scrub the surface rust off and paint it with primer black spray paint. Figured it would be easy to touch up and work on it in the future.
8DAD1224-E9F3-43E4-BA46-5EAEB35CB510.jpeg

After it dried I decided to add a gusset to the steering wheel post on the opposite side of the pedals just because so I wire wheeled off some paint, threw it on there and resprayed it.
Blue locktite on all the bolts for final assembly and it’s lookin pretty good 👍🏻
39C19E02-95B1-4B2D-994A-C7A34CBAF715.jpeg
The angle iron in front of the gas pedal is the save the cable from excess pulling. When it touches that angle iron that’s WOT on the motor. I put a hole in it so I can put a bolt with some nuts on it to limit the throttle in case the little ones ride it. It’s a lot faster than I thought it would be it has a 12T clutch and 58T sprocket which gives about a 4.8 gear ratio. They may have to wait a few years to ride it(oh darn lol)
Must be from the size it feels like you’re going 100mph and I’ve yet to give it full throttle. Can’t imagine modding the engine

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Woman folk just don’t get it sometimes. Would they rather we were in a bar drinking away our paycheck or doing something the whole family may enjoy, eventually. Time to get her but on it. The only thing that concerns me is in an accident with the straight steering wheel it will catch you and your body will absorb the crash. Instead of letting you get flung clear of the crash.

COB619

Reaction score
Getting to the home stretch(for now) did some small things like turning the pull starter then a remote kill switch under the seat and a tachometer. I have to adjust it some more because it’s reading 3k at idle.
432DE4DD-344F-4652-82B7-54C338F223BD.jpeg

There’s enough slack in the throttle and wiring where I can cut a couple of zip ties and set the motor behind it for oil changes or maintenance.

E51CF4C1-74F5-4996-8227-2D53551FE4BC.jpeg
The only thing that concerns me is in an accident with the straight steering wheel it will catch you and your body will absorb the crash. Instead of letting you get flung clear of the crash.
Yea I hear that I may dust off the old motocross chest protector for other riders. For me I’m more concerned for my junk if you know what I mean lol
76FA8CCC-5DFB-4D04-9B51-18284CBB766F.jpeg
Think I’m done for the most part for now. In the future I’ll make some type of engine protection, a front skid plate and cap off the rail ends. Still deciding on the solid floor
8BFC845B-C751-4B23-9DF3-386A98A87F5F.jpeg

Some specs:
Length: 56 inches
Width: 34 inches
Height: 25 inches
Wheelbase: 44 inches
Weight: Just over 100 lbs
Motor: Stock 212
Drive/Gear ratio: Centrifugal clutch 12T, 58T 4.8:1

I think my welding was improving as I went along and feel better about it 👍🏻