governor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Reaction score
I was wondering if i disconnect the governor from the throttle to get more power/rpm from my motor, does that mean i can leave the centrifical weights in the motor and do not have to take my side cover off and take these out. Will leaving them in cause a potential problem or not??? has anyone done this before. The engine is an 8hp briggs. I just rebuilt the motor with some mild modifications i am afraid that it my cause damage internally but am unsure and inexperienced. Any thoughts of wisdom and experience?

brendonv

Reaction score
Yer if u remove the governor u got to open her up and take out the insides. If u dont then bad things happen. One guy one here just got an engine where a guy did just that, took the governor off on the outside but didnt bother with the inside part. Cracked the rod, screwed the oil flicker, took a few teeth of the crank gear and cam.

So in short, yes u have to take out the inside governor mechanism if u want to remove the governor.

oldskool

Reaction score
Ok thanks, Thats what i was leaning towards. So, after disconnecting how does anyone tell what their max rpms are without destroying their motor. Do you just listen? Is thier another way to keep the rpms just under the max so it stops before disaqster?

toofarnorth

Reaction score
If you are still using your stock valve springs your valves should float, limiting your RPMs to a "safe" range.... in theory at least

oldskool

Reaction score
ok, then governor is coming off. Do i remove the gov rod thats in the block and plug the hole as i saw that someone did that before?

anderkart

Reaction score
I'd remove the rod, tap some threads and install a fitting with a 1/4" OD. barbed fuel line type nipple. This could come in really handy someday to drive a pulse type fuel pump, for now you could cap the fitting it off.

solomon

Reaction score
I do (And i can guarantee this) the BEST governor Removal jobs here.
1. Pull off the Side Cover
2.Pull the White gear on the cover (and the washer!)
3.Pull the metal arm and grind off the "flap" that latched into the governor
4. Reinstall the metal arm and reinstall side cover with new gasket or silicone

This is the best and cleanest way to do it! I charge all my buddies 10 bux to do it. Should take you no longer than 15 minutes total to do.

solomon

Reaction score
Well mine looks like factory until you open the inside of the engine, and its the original seal lol its ALL FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.