Governor Repair....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmat

noob
Reaction score
Sorry this is not kart related, but i am working on the engine to go on my zero turn mower, and i have a dead governor, the only way i can get it on, it still holds it WOT, no one around here has ever seen a governor like this, so i thought i would turn to you guys :Angel_anim:
If anyone cann tell me how to get it working, they will be my hero. thanks.

SEE PICS ----v

if it helps anyone, its a 1998 Briggs and stratton 18hp vtwin model number 350777

Attachments

• HPIM1846.jpg
    HPIM1846.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM1847.jpg
    HPIM1847.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM1848.jpg
    HPIM1848.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
its engine related, and where do a lot of us get our engines? from used lawn and garden equipment! lol
so there is a pretty good chance someone on here will encounter a gov just like this, as engine manufactures tend to like to use parts for as many different engines as they can to save money.

but thats a centripetal gov.
when the cam shaft spins faster (due to higher engine speed obviously) the 4 weights will push out-ward with greater force, pushing against the spring(s) between the throttle cable (controlled directly by you) and the linkages hooked directly up to the throttle. causing the governor system to hold the engine at a fixed speed.
if the engine slows down due to increased load, the weights wont push against the springs as hard, and the springs in the governor pull harder than the weights are pushing, and the throttle opens to provide more power to maintain speed.

could you get a few more pics of the rest of the governor? there isnt enough here to tell what is wrong with the gov system, just to know the basics about it...
from what i can tell, the second pic has more to the gov thats cut out of the top of the pic

i hope what i said so far helps a little anyway :)

pmat

noob
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining how it worked, i was a little shocked by how advanced it was. Here are a couple more pictures, if they help any more. Im sure i mentioned it earlier, but the problem is that it holds it WOT, so until ive had time to fix it it has been disconnected and the throttle ziptied.

Attachments

• HPIM1850.jpg
    HPIM1850.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM1851.jpg
    HPIM1851.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM1852.jpg
    HPIM1852.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM1853.jpg
    HPIM1853.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM1854.jpg
    HPIM1854.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
it sounds more complicated than it really is.
when i was younger, i used to think the camshaft and valves and stuff was really complex until i opened up the bottom of an engine and turned the crank to see everything working.
then i was like "well crap, thats pretty simple!" lol
its just easier to understand things if you can see them working first hand. at least for me anyway lol

try getting a manual or exploded parts view of the engine, that should help you see if anything is missing or not connected right.
i would have a link for you, but the Briggs site isnt letting me find manuals like it used to :/

this is just an educated guess here, as i havent worked on this particular engine... but judging by all the pics, that arm in the second pic (talking about the second bunch of pics) would move down to close the throttle?

there should be some sort of spring between the throttle cable and that arm

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Yeah, it just looks like a fancy looking version of the type of governor you'll find on other engines. It still seems to work under the same principle. If the weights are able to move and push on that sort of plate looking thing and move the rod, chances are that part is working fine and you'll just have to make sure that all the levers after that are operating properly. Sorry for the lack of technical names, I don't know them all myself. LOL

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
yeah, Kibble is right. if thats working, but the engine back together, then make sure all the levers and linkages are hooked up right.

this type of gov is commonly referred to simply as an "internal governor" there are many different ways they are installed, but all work on the same principle.
the other common type is a wind-vain type. instead of using weights that use centripetal force, it uses a wind vain that is pushed by the air blown to cool the engine.
aside from that, they work in basically the same way. so if youve had much experience with the common wind vain type, you should be able to figure out this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.