Governor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
i got a go kart but i am gettin my cuz old used go kart an redoing the whole thing but my question is HOW do i remove the governor. i have a trusty briggs 5 hp engine. i know the consequences of takin it off. but i got a back up engine that is a monster, it has a torque converter on it. the other day i was riding it on a dirt road with a new chain. i re align the engine so there would be tention but not to much slack. and i was riding an the chain just desenagrated. i chattered to pieces. sorry for the long story. also i hear some people just take there old carb off. why do they do that? but thanks to any good answers.

Last edited:

ryf

Reaction score
replacing the carb gives better fuel and air flow, if you've given it better flowing exhaust/other mods/or just want better adjustment. some carbs make it easier to bypass the governor.

anytime you want to "go faster" you need to put some attention to your braking and steering.. a pitman (simple pivot bar off the steering column) isn't really safe for high speed, it can be twitchy since you are doing most of your turning in 1/2 turn of the wheel or less.

you don't really usually have to bypass the governor, as much as adjust it, but going over 3600-4000 rpm will start doing damage to the engine, so you need to know how fast its spinning now before you undertake a plan that will increase RPM's.

if the chain did as you say, I'd say its geared improperly/wrong size chain for that motor. if you have a engine with lots of torque in a cart thats gearing is too high, the weakest point will break when you floor it, or play in mud/try and do burn outs. and 8 or 9 to 1 overall ratio is the norm for a gocart. how big is the monster engine, and what size chain? I have a 17.5hp, running size 40 chains, its holding up fine. 41 is slightly smaller, size 35 is alot smaller. are you running

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
My engine is only a 5 hp but with a torque converter. it runs over everthing. my chain is #420. its huge. but if it really not best to take the gov off. i want some big tips for big power output. But with out killing my wallet. How do you do a port and polish. and how ofton do i do it. and if i put sugar and 95%alcohol in the gas tank with the the highest octane gas will it help? so many questions. but i am shore my chain is a #420 its the bigs i have ever seen. also what does a gov ruffy looks like?
Thanks for tips:cool:

Last edited:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
and if i put sugar and 95%alcohol in the gas tank with the the highest octane gas will it help?

Sugar in the fuel only helps if you're trying to mess up someone else's engine. Where did you hear about it helping your engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.