Orange Krate
Active member
I know it's always a heated issue: governed vs ungoverned, exploding flywheels etc etc.
My response has always been psshah! I run ungoverned all the time with no ill will.
I decided to pick up another 5 horse Briggs off craigslist. "Doesn't run - needs carb work but if you put gas in it it will crank" So I call the dude and he says he'll be there. I drive all they way across the metroplex to get it and he's not there. Just some insulant, unhelpful teenagers.
Finally his mom shows up(he's 30). I give it a quick look, make sure it turns over, pay her and get the he// out of there. On my way out I get a text that says he go pulled over on the way there and got a ticket.
This morning I put gas in the carb to crank it but it didn't. I notice the governor linkage is all fubar. The butterfly lever has been bent to go beyond wide open. Then I notice it's too light...because ther's no oil in it due to the hole in the block with part of the governor thrown through it!
My fault for buying with overconfidence in my ability to fix anything. But that's governor karma.
My response has always been psshah! I run ungoverned all the time with no ill will.
I decided to pick up another 5 horse Briggs off craigslist. "Doesn't run - needs carb work but if you put gas in it it will crank" So I call the dude and he says he'll be there. I drive all they way across the metroplex to get it and he's not there. Just some insulant, unhelpful teenagers.
Finally his mom shows up(he's 30). I give it a quick look, make sure it turns over, pay her and get the he// out of there. On my way out I get a text that says he go pulled over on the way there and got a ticket.
This morning I put gas in the carb to crank it but it didn't. I notice the governor linkage is all fubar. The butterfly lever has been bent to go beyond wide open. Then I notice it's too light...because ther's no oil in it due to the hole in the block with part of the governor thrown through it!
My fault for buying with overconfidence in my ability to fix anything. But that's governor karma.
or lack there of. most likely the oil in that thing was rarely if ever changed.