Governer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Different models, different governors. Some use air vane, some use internal mechanical. Some will experience valve float when recommended maximum rpm is exceeded. Or worse yet...a rod through the crankcase.
I would suggest getting a service manual for your particular model (good luck if its Chinese) and study it to see how and why things work the way they do. Keep a digital camera handy and take pictures before you disassemble anything. Use pictures as a guide when re-assembling what you have taken apart.
Generally, a linkage rod is connected to a shaft on carburetor which operates butterfly on inside of carburetor. There will be springs and probably adjustment screws associated with this rod. You should (in some way) be able to disconnect this rod. This is a general guide and will not necessarily work on your engine. If this does disable governor, be careful not to over speed engine without a load on it. It won't last long. I've personally experienced 2 flywheel explosions as a direct result of disabling governor. 1 of these flywheels blew through blower housing and excavated a 2 inch deep hole in concrete floor before in came rest in a garage door. Governors are there for a reason. Click on attachments to see typical governor linkage rods on a generator and a snowthrower. Both are Tecumseh engines. Your engine will be different. (Phew) Hope this helps.

Attachments

• tecumseh generator linkage.JPG
    tecumseh generator linkage.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 37
  • tecumseh snowthrower linkage.JPG
    tecumseh snowthrower linkage.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 38

Jblankster

Reaction score
your in luck! i know exactly how to do this! on this motor! is yours the 16 hp or the 6.5 hp one?

there have been alot of rod,crank, and flywheel failures with the blue OHV engines, so i would highly suggest you do NOT remove the gov without a new rod crank and flywheel. i can give you info on those parts, and if you try looking for them, they are for the honda version of this (forgot exact name, will get in a sec). they are an exact fit.

Jblankster

Reaction score
no. 3000 rpm is absolute max on these without a billet flywheel, billet rod, better push rods, springs, and maby even valves. these who flung poo engines are built like crap. their fun to play with but be very careful. im not trying to scare you away, but i dont want to see you blow a flywheel at 4k rpms and have it end up in someones house, or worse... a person.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
no. 3000 rpm is absolute max on these without a billet flywheel, billet rod, better push rods, springs, and maby even valves.

what engines are we talking about? b/c the briggs engines power band peaks at 3600, with a max or (i'd guess) 4000-4500?

Jblankster

Reaction score
we are talking about the blue harbor freight chinese knock off also known as who flung poo engines.
the who flungs suck major when it comes to modifying, they are not made well. briggs, with stock stuff they can hold up, but your still at risk of putting a piston through the block with everything stock.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ahh, the blue one. right on. What's the info that comes with the engine say about the power band? I remember someone else with that engine cautioning about when you disconnect the governor, to actually open the engine and remove all the parts too because they aren't well made.

Jblankster

Reaction score
ahh, the blue one. right on. What's the info that comes with the engine say about the power band? I remember someone else with that engine cautioning about when you disconnect the governor, to actually open the engine and remove all the parts too because they aren't well made.

yes thats true, but i would take all of it out of any engine.

its still dangerous to un govern any engine without the proper monitering equipment. but if u upgrade the rod and flywheel they should be ok. but on the blue ohv's theres alot more work that needs to be done.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Chinese cloned Honda

I understand that a company called LIFAN manufactures these engines. Is this correct? If not, who does? Last thing I need is another "anchor" but I ordered one anyway. I just want to see what all the fuss is about.

Jblankster

Reaction score
lifan is one of them, there others that make them though. they are very nice engines stock, but wen they break, you just get a new one. these are throw aways. they are not made to be modified, but you can, and they make parts for them. but i do warn you now, if you are going to be modding it, GET A BILLET FLYWHEEL or never be in the "line of fire" of it. because the magnet is just held on with glue and a screw or 2. other than the rod. its one of the weakest points in the mototor.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well i wasnt refering to cheap knock offs

yeah i agree on that --- I think a briggs (at least the L heads) have a max of somewhere around 4500 or 5000. I've never been able to blow one, and i've tried.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
the only thing ive been able to do to a stock briggs that was ungoverned was the intake valve heated up to much and stuck open.there very nice engines,i like the older briggs engines more,i have a 8hp on my cart and i can run that thing all day wide open(and ungoverned) and it never gives up.

Jblankster

Reaction score
yhea, i have an old 6 horse on a friends from sears. about 1950-70 (not exactly sure) off a tiller. and its just insane. and its governed. but im thinking about taking it off now.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i'm unsure of the safety on other engines, but i know that I used to run my old briggs 5.5 off a tiller all the time no governor. i would never do that without a load on it, but with one, never *seemed* a problem. maybe another thread on this would be a good idea!

2or3wheels

Reaction score
i probly got an 8 horse from thew 60's probly and the thing had so much torque that it would move my 240lbs the bike 100lbs and the gearing was for arround 50 mph (not designed). It would bearly get off idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.