Gov problems....

mckutzy

Reaction score
I have(actually a friend of mine) a 208cc princess auto powerfist motor...

It's relatively new, not alot of heavy usage, completely stock. I had this bike then passed it off to my friend.

In my other thread about fixing the gas tank, after fixing we attempted a test ride to see how our new mount fits and feels... After pulling the rope, it screems to full blast..
I check a few things... Turns out the gov arm isn't returning right, like it's jammed up some how...
It isn't the throttle setup at all.
I can start it up and push the arm to its proper starting position, and dies down and acts as normal. However just move the throttle a shade and it carries on as if the throttle is turned on to drag race...

As far as I know... It hasn't been abused but he is kinda hard on stuff...
He did ditch it slightly one time it but over all its fine.
The pegs and bars caught the brunt of it..

What could cause a gov arm to be stiff to return??..
(As an exact same engine in the other friends bike I just built, I checked the gov arm acts as it should and returns to the forward position.)

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_190555.jpg
    IMG_20200731_190555.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200731_190549.jpg
    IMG_20200731_190549.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200731_190545.jpg
    IMG_20200731_190545.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
That throttle lever bracket looks bent to me..
looks like the throttle lever if pulled up ever so slightly can catch,
I even think I see a skid mark that matches the corner of the bracket.

IMG_20200731_190549.jpg

Anyways, remove the chain (or belt) so the running eninge isn't moving the bike,
then with your nose glued to the shroud start it up and bring it to stick on high rpms..

then, ever so gently touch each bit with your finger,
start with the governor shaft sticking out the engine,
move along the governor arm, the springs and control rods,
one by one until you end up at the throttle cable.
at one point I bet you'll remove the lock and the engine will drop to idle immediately.
And then you know which part needs to be taken care of.

My guess is indeed the throttle lever catching on that edge.
maybe the spring below.

And while it's certainly possible the governor arm inside the enigne isn't properly set up or loose even..
that high revving is caused by an open butterfly,
so the culprit must be at least visible from above.
(ideally also remove the air filter for now to take a look at the butterfly control and check for skid marks)

You can reset the governor to specs to be sure it's not inside the crankcase what's causing this but I doubt it's necessary tbh.

'sid

mckutzy

Reaction score
ITs an odd camera angle for sure...
The throttle arm is loosened like how we do when we get a new motor.
It kinda flops about, but not too loose. There isnt any binding on the throttle plate or in the linkage or throttle itself(cable, twist grip ect).
The only issue is the gov area....It hangs up and doesnt return like it should.

I did notice it looks like it had been touched with something as the end of the gov arm shaft has a witness mark of something "tooled" or the like on it....
Later today Im going to take a look at the gov shaft to see if it is bent at the top of the case.
That for the most part has been the only place of resistance...
All of which I dont know how it happened....

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
IF the governor rod is bent I'd really like to know how, short of dropping it or dropping something on it I dont see how it could bend vertically.

One time I saw the exact thing you're describing on a generator, it was just really gummed between the rod and block presumably from sitting and not being used for a couple years? So far the ONLY governor rod I haven't been able to turn by finger(s) once the arm was removed was that specific engine.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Wellllll... I kinda feel stupid.. or at least sheepish to say the least... obvious things of course...

After taking the air cleaner setup off, the throttle plate and disassembled the gov linkage with the carb...

I found the fuel hose poking up and rubbing the gov rod, as it's an automotive fuel hose, and fitting the groove in the insulator plate, it wasn't fully fitting right.
Fileing the wings out a bit to fit the hose, it snapped right in flush. Now no contact with the carb and gov rod..

I don't know what had happened to the gov rod... Retraced all the activities that led up to the questioning... But that one alludes me...

The next thing that alludes me... Is why the tank still leaks..
It was taken away from me, and subsequently JBweld' ed...

We'll see what happens next...