Got new welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
ok, so i got this welder from harbor freight today. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94056

I was practicing on some scrap metal first for some practice and I cant seem to get a good bead. I managed to get an alright weld on my second try, but my forth fifth and sixth ect. tries have been failed attempts. Could someone lay down the basics? Like as far as what speed the wire should be coming out and when I should use the high of low setting.

One problem i notice is that as im going along, instead of it making a constant weld, it will like shut off and on and the arc will stop as im moving along, but i never let go of the trigger, so i dont know why the arc would be stopping like that. So when it stops like that it makes for a bad, broken up bead. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? Do I just have a really ****ty welder and should take it back and get a different one?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe you have the feed to slow, try increasing it a bit. Make sure the point where the ground attaches to is free of paint or other stuff that may block the flow of current.

d311_5uxor

Reaction score
i agree that your feed is probably set too slow, try increasing the speed and stay around 1" from the weld, too far and it wont weld, just spark, too close and youll clog the nozzle
it also only has a 10% duty cycle, you may be overheating it

the best investment for wire feed mig welders is to add shielding gas and solid core wire for a more controlled burn and far less spatter

jr dragster T

Reaction score
1'' away from the weld:eek:ut:Maybe with flux core. But in the manuel for my Lincoln Electric 180C it says to stay 3/8'-1/2' away from the weld so the shielding gas stays.

ryf

Reaction score
I had the same welder, keep it close, and you want it to sound like eggs on a greasy skillet, also you should consider spending $12 bucks on tip dip/nozzle gel, you get the tip warm and dip the brass/chrome nozzle in just a little, keeps the splatter from sticking to the tips. it will last you years. gasless you can dip it cold, but I don't just because it clumps and and splatters when it burns off

hint: use the gel when you put a new tip in and every once in a while (like every 5-10 passes), it will not help once its already sticking, that requires a new tip or a tip file to deburr the inside of the tip. I don't deburr tips, they are so cheap it is pointless.

http://www.jandrweldingsupply.com/store/Antispatter.html

this is what I'm talking about, but you can get it at any welding supply. its usually around $9-10 locally, it will last you at least 2-3 years unless you get into welding every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.